Father & Son Short Stories

What are some good short stories that involve a son trying to live up to his father's expectations, but which don't turn out well?
posted by storybored to Writing & Language (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Perhaps not along the lines of what you were thinking of, but Kafka's The Judgment stands the test of time.
posted by war wrath of wraith at 8:30 PM on February 3

A song? "Cats in the Cradle"
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 9:16 PM on February 3

"The Lie" by Vonnegut. That's one of my favorites from Welcome to the Monkeyhouse!
posted by Gravel at 9:41 PM on February 3

Why Johnny Can't Speed, by Allan Dean Foster.
posted by boilermonster at 10:55 PM on February 3

The Gift of the Prodigal - Peter Taylor. It's told from the father's point of view and the ending is ambiguous as to whether things turn out well as such, but it might fit. There's a brief summary (with spoliers) at the New Yorker here.
posted by Life at Boulton Wynfevers at 5:29 AM on February 4

A Day's Wait, E. Hemingway, as read by S. Keach.
posted by notyou at 6:10 AM on February 4

off the top of my head, Calling, by Richard Ford, but it seems it's a recurring theme of his work.
posted by nicolin at 6:26 AM on February 4

« Older Just found a bedbug in my hote...   |  I use MAC Studio Fix. I want t... Newer »