Where's a good place for a paper airplane contest? (Portland Oregon)
February 1, 2014 3:58 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for an awesome spot for a paper airplane contest near Portland Oregon. I work as an engineer and my goal is to do this as a "team activity" at work. Who knows - if there's a good spot, maybe an IRL event too?
posted by sarah_pdx to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (7 answers total)
- Safety: Don't want to hit unsuspecting strangers.
- Minimal wind: Probably indoors. A sheltered outdoor space might work.
- Cleanup: Need to be able to collect all planes afterward.
- Elevated launch platform: So the planes go farther!
- Low cost: Less than $500
- Location: 30min drive near Portland/Hillsboro, Oregon USA (but feel free to mention awesome spots elsewhere for others to try out)
I had some thoughts, but they all had drawbacks:
- Balcony at the Oregon Convention Center (or Schnitz) would seem ideal, but I'm assuming it would cost a lot to rent.
- Maybe Jeld-Wen Field (aka PGE Park) - but probably costly and windy.
- Pioneer Place (or other) Mall atrium - but don't want to hit/injure unsuspecting shoppers.
- Most any parking garage - but might hit people and windy.
- Off a bridge - but littering.
- Off the top end of the OHSU tram - but windy and litter.
- University auditorium??
- Maybe just a big empty-ish industrial building?
Basically looking for a large indoor space that's not too expensive to rent out...