DNS not propagating

After adding a MX record, my domain's DNS isn't propagating. How can I fix this?

I just signed up for Microsoft 365 and need to verify ownership of a .co domain. Following Microsoft instructions to the letter, I was able to verify a .com domain by adding a TXT record. I attempted to do the same thing with a .co domain, but for some reason DNS failed to propagate after nearly 24 hours.

I registered both domains under Gandi.net. I've double and triple checked that I am doing everything right, but for whatever reason the DNS is not getting out there.

After some googling seems like this might be a problem with the .co TLD. Another possibility that .co TLD will take upwards of 72 hours to propagate.

Two questions: Is this actually an issue with .co TLD? And do I have to do anything more beyond adding the TXT or MX record?
posted by pakoothefakoo to Computers & Internet (6 answers total)

Did you update your zone serial number? What's the TTL for your domain?
posted by Cat Pie Hurts at 6:37 PM on January 30

TTL is set to 1 hour. I'm not sure what you mean by zone serial number?
posted by pakoothefakoo at 6:43 PM on January 30

What are the name servers for your domain? You can find these by issuing this command:

nslookup -type=NS yourdomain.co

You should see two or more answers reported here. Now, ask those name servers what they think about the record you believe you've added:

nslookup -type=TXT whatevertextrecord.yourdomain.co ns1.whatyoufoundabove.com

If you get the answer you're expecting this means your problem is propagation from your DNS name servers to the world at large, which could either be due to a failure to update the zone serial number (to indicate to other servers there is a change), or due to lack of time passed.

If you don't get the right answer, you need to revisit your DNS configuration because something isn't getting set up right at your name server.
posted by odinsdream at 7:02 PM on January 30

To answer your followup comment, the serial number that both previous posters are referring to is the third value listed in the SOA record for the domain. You can recognize it as the first numeric value in the SOA record. If the serial isn't increased, your NS servers will not pick up the changes and therefore it won't propagate. I've seen some documentation refer to that field as the "timestamp."

The thing is that if you are using gandi.net's dns service, it looks like their interface won't actually let you touch the SOA record (which makes sense since you can really mess things up terribly by mucking with that record). So the interface must update this automatically. The serial is probably not your problem.
posted by NormieP at 7:28 PM on January 30

Have you made the zone file active on gandi.net? The way it works with them is you duplicate an existing zone file, make your DNS changes, and then make the newly created zone file active.
posted by ridogi at 7:59 PM on January 30

Solved the problem.

It was because Gandi.net kept on adding a single period to the end of value string.

Anyhoo, thank you all for the answers!
posted by pakoothefakoo at 8:22 PM on January 30

« Older I need help deciding what book...   |  I think I saw a bed bug on a w... Newer »