Honeymoon destinations with infant in Central America/Mexico/Caribbean
January 29, 2014 3:35 PM Subscribe
Yay - we got married! We are looking for suitable destinations to go on our honeymoon sometime in late spring or summer. We'd like to go to Central America, Mexico or the Caribbean as neither of us has been there before. We'll be taking our wonderful son, who turns one in March with us, so we're looking for somewhere that is not too intrepid. Your suggestions please...
posted by piyushnz to Travel & Transportation (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Here is some more information (in no particular order) I hope will help:
* We will be travelling from Alberta, Canada. Budget is somewhere from 4-6K - don't know how realistic this is. We are planning on a minimum of one week, but hopefully up to two weeks. Ideally we would be going sometime in late spring to early summer (late April to July).
* Before our son was born we spent a few days on the big island, Hawaii, and loved it! We talked about going back for our honeymoon, but decided this might be an opportunity to go somewhere new for both of us, such as Central America, Mexico or the Caribbean. We are somewhat enamoured with the idea of going to Cuba. However, we are not fixed on any of these, so if you have other suggestions we are open to that!
* The destination should be somewhere suitable to take a 1+ year old - ie. it should be safe, comfortable and interesting for a young child. I've heard the food can be an issue in some resorts, so we'd want to stay somewhere where the food is edible for both us and our son. As a bonus, it would be great to go somewhere with reputable child minding services so we can have some time to ourselves (I know, I know, on our honeymoon! What are we thinking ... ).
* Apart from the obvious issue of feeding and entertaining our son, there are probably a bunch of logistical issues I haven't thought of...
* We would like some beach and sun, but my wife and I both agree we wouldn't enjoy spending an entire week sitting on a beach. This doesn't necessarily rule out a resort, but our idea is that we could also do a few day trips and do some sightseeing (Bonus round: suggestions of things to see).