Holy Fatherhood, Batmam!

Help me find examples of father-child relationships in the Bible.

I became a father last week, so I'd like to base my Bible reading over the next wee while on fatherhood. I'm particularly interested less in occasional verses, and would rather substantial accounts of particular relationships. Think: the whole shebang with Abe and Issac; avoid: "Honour thy father and Mother".

I'd appreciate the cautionary tales as well as the positive ones. Father-daughter relationships even better, but I'm not into heavily gendering my little girl so soon, so father-son stuff is acceptable, too.
posted by man down under to Religion & Philosophy (11 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

There are lots of fathers in the bible, but Abraham and Isaac is the most dramatic story. Isaac's son Jacob tricked him spectacularly late in his life, and Jacob himself had 14 children, and considerable interaction with/over some of them, particularly Joseph and Dinah. Also check out Noah, Solomon and Job.
posted by ubiquity at 2:56 AM on January 27 [2 favorites]

There are plenty of cautionary tales of parent-child relationships in the Bible, particularly in the Old Testament. An example is the peculiar behaviour of the daughters of the Lot.
posted by cincinnatus c at 3:26 AM on January 27

1 Samuel 1 - 4: Eli the high priest and his two sons.
posted by Bruce H. at 5:37 AM on January 27

Congratulations to all of you!

The parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32) leaps to mind.

Though the scriptures are tantalizingly sparse (only Matthew and Luke contain infancy narratives), there is a wealth of meditations on St. Joseph as a model for fatherhood.
posted by jquinby at 5:41 AM on January 27 [2 favorites]

Wow, heavy reading suggested in the first couple comments, for the father of a newborn girl... might as well throw Jephthah in there too. yikes!

In the gospels there is the story of Jairus pleading with Jesus for his daughter's life. In the OT maybe look at Ruth? (If a daughter/MIL relationship works for you by analogy.)

man down under, I get the impression you are coming from a Christian tradition (?), i.e. not unfamiliar with the contents of the Bible. So you probably know that with regard to father-daughter relationships, the "cautionary" tales are easier to come by than the "positive" ones. I haven't read this book and thus am not recommending it, but maybe look at the table of contents for some ideas? It's more about women than about daughters specifically, but there is overlap.

(I'm focusing pretty specifically on the "daughter" aspect of your question; obviously the Bible has lots more stories to do with fatherhood in general. There, too, I think content falls heavily on the "cautionary" side. Or commandments/directives, which you said is not so much what you're looking for.)
posted by torticat at 5:46 AM on January 27

While it generally gets overlooked in the broader story of David's rise to the throne, the relationship between King Saul and his son Jonathan is fascinating, disturbing stuff. Read it in 1 Samuel chs. 13-31.
posted by BurntHombre at 6:47 AM on January 27

Yeah, the bible is not a great place for father-daughter relationships. Heck, I could argue that relationships in the bible are VERY fraught. The following is a few I can think of and I am sure that other people will chime with much more:
posted by jadepearl at 6:50 AM on January 27

Oh, I forgot, any story that involves the request to save or kill a child. So, let us consider: There is way more, I am sure. The New Testament is not my area at all and I am going only from memory for the rest.
posted by jadepearl at 7:06 AM on January 27

Other father-related incidents in the New Testament:

Mark 9:17-28 - A father brings his son to Jesus to be healed ("I believe; help my unbelief!")
Luke 8:40 - The abovementioned story of Jairus and his daughter

The Epistles have lots of father-references, but they're almost all in reference to God (the Father) and Jesus (the Son). Even so, you can find beautiful little meditations like 1 John 2:13, and James 1:17 ("every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change").
posted by jquinby at 12:37 PM on January 27

Esther has a nice relationship with Mordecai. Technically her uncle or cousin or something but acting as an adoptive father (I think she's an orphan?).
posted by gerstle at 3:51 PM on January 27

Jacob (fathered 12 sons, one being Joseph)
posted by irish01 at 6:04 PM on January 27

« Older I don't know what help I need ...   |  I've decided to skip my brothe... Newer »