Skip

Why are there no Bluetooth 4.0 keyboards?
January 26, 2014 2:46 PM   Subscribe

I can't find any Bluetooth 4.0 keyboards from any of the usual places. This makes me suspicious. Alibaba has some, but I'd prefer to buy a single one from somewhere I have used before. What's going on?
posted by devnull to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

What kind of device(s) are you wanting to use it with? The 4.0 standard brings new features such as track info, but not much in the way of keyboard enhancements. Older BT keyboards tend to work fine with new devices, with a few exceptions here and there.
posted by planetesimal at 6:12 PM on January 26

HTPC. I'm looking for the low power feature mostly, the hugely improved battery life.
posted by devnull at 11:08 PM on January 26

Older bluetooth keyboards already last months and months. Maybe there's just no power savings to be had...
posted by destructive cactus at 12:47 PM on January 27

Yeah, I don't know what your size requirements are as some HTPC users like the handheld models that you type using your thumbs. But, my Logitech K810 has been awesome with battery life. One charge lasts several months if I don't use the backlight feature. Bonus on the K810 model is you can instantly switch between 3 devices.

The low power benefits of 4.0 are more for smaller new devices like wearables and informatic generation, which don't have much space for batteries.
posted by planetesimal at 12:52 PM on January 27

« Older I see two medical providers on...   |  In many spy or action movies, ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments