Non-ticking physical kitchen timer

I want a kitchen timer (for use in "personal productivity", not the kitchen), but I hate the ticking sound that most of them make. I want to be able to set it by physically turning something. I definitely do not want to have to press any buttons. Where can I find such a thing?
posted by beerbajay to Food & Drink (10 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

There is a timer like this in the film Minority Report. It might just be a prop, I don't know. But that might be a place to start looking in case they used an existent device.
posted by jardinier at 10:56 AM on January 26

It's not cheap, but...

Alessi's duck timer doesn't tick. You set minutes and seconds by rotating the body clockwise and anticlockwise, respectively. When your time is up it quacks.
posted by MuffinMan at 10:59 AM on January 26

Sorry if this is obvious, but the ticking usually comes from the clockwork in mechanical timers which also are usually the turning kind, because of how these mechanisms work. To get a non-ticking timer you basically need a digital one, but the interface for these (for cost reasons I imagine) is usually buttons. So the relevant search terms combine all of these things are something like "rotating digital kitchen timer", which led me to things like this (which has some buttons for start/stop, and sets by rotating), and this.

It might be hard to find a digital timer that is absolutely without buttons, or a mechanical timer that is absolutely silent.
posted by advil at 11:30 AM on January 26 [1 favorite]

You might want to check out visual timers.
posted by leastlikelycowgirl at 11:33 AM on January 26

Hourglass timers are turnable, quiet and come in various time increments.
posted by maggieb at 11:44 AM on January 26 [1 favorite]

You want this: http://www.amazon.com/Datexx-Miracle-Cube-Timer-Purple/dp/B00889AV9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390765686&sr=8-1&keywords=timer+cube

I love mine!
posted by nkknkk at 11:48 AM on January 26

I HAVE THIS TIMER. Exactly as you described.* Here: Acctim Punto.

*there is one thing - there are definitely no buttons, but you do have to push down on the timer to set it after you've turned it to choose a time.
posted by lokta at 11:50 AM on January 26 [1 favorite]

In case it's not obvious, the Datexx Miracle Cube Timer comes in different colors, and each color has a different set of intervals.

Purple: 5, 10, 20 and 30 minutes
Green: 1, 5, 10 and 15 minutes
Blue: 1, 3, 5 and 7 minutes
Yellow: 5, 10, 20 and 45 minutes
White: 5, 15, 30 or 60 minutes
posted by barnone at 12:44 PM on January 26 [1 favorite]

I just put a Tupperware container over the timer while it ticks away.
posted by Carol Anne at 4:49 PM on January 26

The Cook-Rite 60 Minute Timer does not tick. I've used mine for years for productivity (pomodoro technique).
posted by miscbuff at 1:08 AM on January 27 [1 favorite]

« Older So, I'm using Google Chrome an...   |  Entry Point Errors... ASN1BERE... Newer »