a can't-MIIS opportunity.
January 25, 2014 11:30 PM Subscribe
Asking for a friend: what's life like as a student in Monterey, California? Snowflakey details inside.
posted by Tamanna to Grab Bag (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
So my friend got accepted to the Monterey Institute (yay!) However, this will be her first foray to the US, and she is, understandably, completely at sea. Student Services has been great, but she still has a lot of questions.
- What's the cost of living like in Monterey? She's gotten estimates of about $1500/month, does that sound reasonable for a single woman who'd prefer her own place?
- Related, any Monterey-specific tips on keeping costs down?
- What's the part-time job scene like? Her student visa will allow her to work, but how easy will actually finding a job be?
- What's there in Monterey for a bookish, introverted type who doesn't like to drink or party to do? Bonus points for free/cheap.
- I'm told that Monterey is colder than the rest of CA, but I'm having trouble figuring out what that means. Cold = jeans and jacket, or cold = a nice warm coat and boots? For reference, where my friend is from, winter temps generally are in the high 60s/low 70s.
- She's also trying to figure out the cost/benefit ratio of bringing things from home vs buying them there, especially bulkier stuff like coats and boots. Desi Mefis, was there anything you regretted bringing, or leaving behind?
Thanks in advance!