But first, this important message! How can I prevent this?

Lately, sites want to insert there message between you and their content in the form of a transparent overlay. For example: http://www.racetonowhere.com/ wants my info and is nice enough to let me click "skip" but other sites aren't so nice. Is there a way to block this feature? A plug-in, perhaps?

I'm aware that all sites don't do this the same way and what works for one won't work for all, (e.g. no-script will block this one but not others, but then I need to turn on scripting to see the rest of the site and the message pops up!) but I'll take any help I can get!
posted by Obscure Reference to Computers & Internet (6 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

give 'em fake info. i have charles manson's supermarket club card! you can be mike hunt.
posted by bruce at 9:23 AM on January 23 [3 favorites]

and a word of caution: you shouldn't click on OP's dodgy link if you're logged in to mefi; it might give them TMI.
posted by bruce at 9:26 AM on January 23

What I did to remove an overlay on the site you linked (Windows + Firefox):

- right-click on a dark overlay, select Inspect Element (Developer Tools pop up, opened on the DOM and Style Inspector tab);

- right-click on a highlighted node in DOM and Style Inspector ("<div id="block-block-80" ... blah-blah ... >), select Delete Node;

- click on the X in the top-right corner of the Developer Tools to close them.

This solution is not permanent. For better results you might consider using AdBlock (still talking about Firefox; I'm not sure how it works in a different browser)
posted by ringu0 at 9:29 AM on January 23

I use a browser addon called Quick Javascript Switcher. It allows turning off (and back on) javascript per site/page. Bye bye overlays.
posted by maggieb at 9:30 AM on January 23 [2 favorites]

Element Hiding Helper for Adblock is really handy for killing many of these overlays.
posted by radwolf76 at 9:40 AM on January 23 [6 favorites]

Element Hiding Helper seems to do the trick!
posted by Obscure Reference at 2:57 PM on January 23

« Older If you visit the City of Calga...   |  You've got an audience of 350 ... Newer »