Living in Boston on the cheap
January 21, 2014 7:01 PM Subscribe
Living in Boston on $12,100 a year: is this doable? How can I make it work?
posted by youcancallmeal to Travel & Transportation around Boston, MA (19 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I'm considering an AmeriCorps position in Boston (Roxbury to be specific) for the next school year and am trying to figure out if I can live there on the stipend without going insane. I've read previous threads about this, but they're more focused on being a tourist, not on day to day living.
Things that help:
- I will get SNAP benefits
- I don't mind living in the sketchier areas of town, especially since I'll be working in one. I've lived in Baltimore and pre-gentrification Bushwick in Brooklyn for tolerance reference.
- I have a car, but am comfortable biking or walking to work.
- I actually prefer living with roommates and don't have any furniture to speak of, so don't need a lot of space.
- Max level of rent is about $700, bills included.
- I want to live close enough to work that I can bike or walk there.
- I don't want to constantly feel deprived. I currently live in Vermont where I have enough money for the semi-weekly trip to the fancy pub or concert. While I don't need $$$$ level restaurants, I don't want to live in a city with so many food / cultural opportunities and never be able to do any of them.
I feel like there are so many college kids around, there has to be a decent culture in Boston for people without a lot of money. What is it? What are the hacks that can make this work?