Will my vinyl LPs warp in storage?

I'm planning to store my belongings, including about a thousand vinyl LPs and 45s. Should I invest in a more expensive climate controlled unit to keep them from warping?

Details:

1. This is in Los Angeles, probably in the San Gabriel Valley.
2. I am planning to store the LPS in 12X12 boxes, standing upright rather than stacked, '
3. The added cost of climate control is probably $300 to $400 in the year.
4. Months will be February 2014 through November 2014.

The non-climate controlled facility that I have rented claims to top out at about 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Given the value of the records, I imagine most comments will suggest that a $400 premium is a no-brainer. But I'm curious whether there is any actual and documented temperature at which I can expect damage. (I know, in general, that storage should be upright and packed fairly tightly.)

I have reviewed this thread and found it helpful, but wanted more feedback/experience/etc than it provides: http://ask.metafilter.com/54481/What-is-the-best-way-to-store-vinyl-records-over-an-extended-period-of-time
posted by kensington314 to Home & Garden (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Yes, you should invest in climate control.

I do not know shit about temperature, but I run a record store and about a 1/3rd of the time when people bring me records from their storage room, I'm unable to purchase them because they are warped. Note that I have not seen the records while stored and can't report if they were stored "properly", but I can tell you they're always upset when they find out.

Also, note that I am not in Los Angeles, but in Toronto.
posted by dobbs at 12:05 PM on January 20 [2 favorites]

I would be cautious about this claim. Yes, the average daily high temp in July, August and September is in the low to mid-80s. However, a record high of 113 was recorded as recently as September 2010.

Direct sun beating down on a metal roof for an entire day can produce some surprising heat.

I believe dobbs has it right.
posted by John Borrowman at 12:11 PM on January 20

Absolutely yes, get climate control.
posted by Jacqueline at 12:14 PM on January 20

Your LPs won't fit in a 12x12 box. You want something like these.
posted by hydrophonic at 12:16 PM on January 20

I've used these folks in the past and had a very good experience:
STORBOX Self Storage. On Foothill, by the Pasadena In-n-Out.
posted by ApathyGirl at 1:59 PM on January 20

Absolutely go for the climate control. Temperature fluctuation could potentially be as damaging as higher temperatures. Isn't it reasonable to think that in a twenty-four hour period, the storage facility's ambient temperature could vary as much as 20 degrees?

Additionally, I'm wondering -- the storage place you are currently considering: is there a chance for other environmental damage in this facility (ie. humidity)? Spending the one-time $400 to ensure your treasures remain safe seems a no-brainer to me. Most of the guides I'm reading say over 75 degrees is a no-no.

Here's a good guide from a vinyl restorer.
posted by MyFrozenYear at 2:10 PM on January 20

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for putting me over the line into small, wise investment territory.
posted by kensington314 at 11:04 AM on January 22

« Older Why is cut/copy/duplicate grey...   |  Is English changing to use sim... Newer »