How and where can I as an adult, begin to train and learn Decathlon?

I am a 31 year old adult male and I'd like to start learning the decathlon. I am a complete beginner but I have been athletic my whole life (and briefly played professional soccer 10 years ago), my goal is to score 4000 points. Where does an adult go to begin to study decathlon? I'd like a personal coach, or maybe to join a local high school, college, or masters track team, but I have no idea where to begin. Extra points for any resources in Turku Finland, Columbus Ohio, or Austin Texas. (snowflakes inside)

At my university in China we have a school wide "olympics" every year, and I'd like to compete in the decathlon. I can do fine training myself for the running events, but there is a lot of skill involved in shotput, hurdles, javelin etc. I am currently living in Turku Finland and will be here for the next 3 months and it would mean the world to me if I could start learning the skill aspects of these sports. I know some DVD's and books exist, but they seem like a poor second best to live instruction from an experienced coach. After 3 more months here in Turku Finland, I'll head either to Austin texas or Columbus Ohio where I imagine it would be even more feasible to find a coach. In September of 2014 I'll head back to China and the competition is in November of 2014. How does an adult go about learning decathlon on his own in Turku Finland?
posted by crawltopslow to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (1 answer total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Most (US) states have some kind of state-wide olympic-style summer games. The competitions are for amateurs so you could give Decathlon a shot before you do the competition in China. Local track clubs are usually very friendly and probably have other people doing the same thing.

High school coaches can't hold official practices over the summer but there is usually a youth summer league where those coaches or their athletes will volunteer. Over the summer, my high school's track was open to everyone and people could "sign out" (I remember it being more of an honor system) hurdles, discus, shot puts, etc. We didn't have javelin but some people would bring their own to practice.

Good luck with pole vaulting!
posted by thewestinggame at 2:42 PM on January 19

« Older We are in Salt Lake City just ...   |  Frequently in the climate deba... Newer »