crossdressing resources in Milwaukee?

Can you point me toward resources or support groups for crossdressers in Milwaukee?

I'm 30 and have been dressing for about a year now, though never out in public yet. I have my ups and downs and hangups, but I have realized that this is definitely a part of who I am. I'm interested in meeting people that I could at least talk to about the experience, and get their advice and support. But I'm not really sure where to turn. I see some lgbt support groups, but from what I can see, they mostly focus on the "l" or the "g", and I'm not trans*, so I don't want to "barge in" on their meetings. Can the hivemind point me in the right direction?
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Look for a local crossdresser group on fetlife.
posted by fluffy battle kitten at 6:47 PM on January 18

Fetlife.com is mostly filled with domination/submission stuff but has all sorts of resources for all of the "abnormal" sexualities. Here is a group for Wisconsin crossdressers that appears active. Just looking around Milwaukee and Wisconsin groups it looks like there's a couple more wide-ranging gender-related groups that could help you as well.

I don't think there's anything as big as a support group though and the site can be a bit of a sexually charged meat market. Not everyone uses the site that way though and its possible to make friends. I'm pretty sure you could find some nice people with experience in the lifestyle to talk to at the least.

edit: oh Fluffy beat me by a couple seconds.
posted by john-a-dreams at 6:47 PM on January 18

FORGE (For Ourselves Reworking Gender Expressions)
PO Box 1272
Milwaukee, WI 53201
(414) 278-6031
tgwarrior@execpc.com
FtM oriented support and social group.

Milwaukee Transgender Program
2645 N. Mayfair Rd., Ste. 230
Milwaukee, WI 53226
(414) 774-4111
Support for MtF, FtM, TS, CD, and family.

These may not be specific to crossdressing, but will definitely be able to include you.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 6:48 PM on January 18

I also suggest FetLife. There are a number of CDs who show up to the local BDSM group meetups. IIRC there is a "dress up" group specific to CDs, but I forget what it's called. FORGE is definitely a trans* group and probably not what you're looking for.

The Tool Shed (store) on the east side is very trans* friendly and can probably give you more leads. Also consider finding groups in Madison and Chicago.
posted by desjardins at 10:56 AM on January 21

« Older We loved our little ratty but ...   |  While snowmobiling today, my g... Newer »