I need to be able to pull together dinner quickly. I can't always predictably plan when I will be at home on weeknights, so leaving cooked meals or salad veggies in the fridge is a gamble that has often resulted in waste.
I wish to fix this with
* A carefully curated list of recipes that will allow me to prepare dinner quickly from frozen or shelf-stable items, for which I will my freezer and pantry accordingly.
* Using freezing techniques that allow for quick thawing
* Learning recipes that will make something delicious of frozen veggies or canned goods
My ideas are:
1. Precooking soups and stews and freezing them in flat ziplock bags. This should thaw quickly in warm water, then I can heat on the stove top.
2. Precooking or prepping and freezing meals in individual foil pans which can be put, frozen, directly in the oven. (So far I've only found recipes and instructions for 4 or more servings).
3. Freezing raw meat in thin pieces so that it will thaw quickly in warm water. Also burger patties.
4. Learning to make decent stir-fries - decent anything - with frozen veggies.
5. Expanding my repertoire of recipes like this one
, which could quickly be assembled from frozen sliced chorizo, frozen shrimp and frozen green beans - would just have to pick up a couple of potatoes and peppers on the way home.
Things to know:
* No microwave
* No slow-cooker
* I'm cooking for one
* I love sardines
* Low carbish with lots of veggies preferred
What recipes and techniques would help me?