But she's allergic to everything!

I need recipes that a highly allergic friend can eat. No nuts, eggs, corn, chick peas, tomatoes or shellfish.

I'd like recipes that are toddler-friendly so that our families can all partake, but any ideas appreciated. I'm a decent cook, and specialty items aren't a problem. Any recipe sites that are great for this? Thanks!
posted by cestmoi15 to Food & Drink (14 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

That actually doesn't seem like a difficult list to me -- I promise you, that is genuinely so far from "allergic to everything" I can't imagine there would be a recipe site for it. Probably 65% of the food we make routinely would fit your bill. Mushroom risotto? Roasted chicken? Gourmet burgers? Bangers and mash? Roast beef and Yorkshire pud?

If you're looking for something special to make rather than a routine mid-week meal, however, I highly recommend individual Beef Wellingtons and pan fried garlic cabbage (use Savoy cabbage or use Brussel sprouts, both are amazing cooked this way and I say this as someone who likes neither.)
posted by DarlingBri at 7:12 PM on January 17 [1 favorite]

for toddler-friendly -- make meatloaf, substituting full-fat greek yogurt for the eggs. Instead of a ketchup glaze, wrap it in bacon before you cook it.
posted by KathrynT at 7:24 PM on January 17 [1 favorite]

Thanks. Not to thread sit, but I guess I should have included that I'm vegetarian, so this isn't intuitive for me, although I'm glad this isn't as hard as I'm making it.
posted by cestmoi15 at 7:29 PM on January 17

Chocolate covered bacon! Something with a white sauce. Kale chips! Homemade French fries!
posted by oceanjesse at 7:30 PM on January 17

[or just chocolate covered chocolate]
posted by oceanjesse at 7:30 PM on January 17 [1 favorite]

Yeah, this shouldn't be too crazy hard, actually. All grains except from corn are fine? Dairy? That's a lot to work with, even in the toddler taste field.

-mac & cheese
-potatoes au gratin
-twice baked potatoes
-the sort of fillings that you'd normally put in pitas or tortillas work great as lettuce wraps. or make it into a salad.
-baked sweet potatoes with indian spices and butter mashed into them with greek yogurt on top (leave it off or mix it in well for the toddler, maybe)
-leek and potato pot pie (just make a thick leek and potato soup, pour it in a big pyrex, and top it with biscuits; either your favorite southern buttermilk recipe or those canned biscuits wrapped in aluminum foil that are fun to pop. i can vouch that trader joe's poppy tubes of croissant dough are vegan so no eggs in those.)

It's snowing hella hard outside, so sorry for all the heavy comfort food
posted by Juliet Banana at 7:41 PM on January 17 [4 favorites]

Yorkshire pudding totally has eggs.

I'm guessing Indian food might be somewhere to look (though, really, it's my answer to all cooking quandaries). What separate chickpeas from lentils, though? You might have to steer clear of the entire dal arena unless she's familiar with pulses. But there's aloo gobi without tomato, and a squash dish. This aloo mattar would probably survive without the tomatos (if I were making it, I'd skip them as I don't like tomatoes). From the same website, there's also butternut squash pasta which is probably nice (Manjula has yet to lead me astray), though is there usually egg in pasta?

Anything stir fry-ish with tofu or tempeh or whatever would work, though I could see a toddler finding rice hard to eat.

Vegetarian sushi, too (though it's a tad labor intensive). The toddler could just eat it with their fingers.
posted by hoyland at 7:45 PM on January 17 [1 favorite]

Vegetarian with no nuts or eggs for protein can be a little tougher (I'm a vegetarian with anaphylaxis to dairy, soy and corn and some other things, so I empathize). One great dish that I think would work for you is Summer Rolls. That recipe calls for serving them with a peanut sauce, but I think hoisin sauce is much, much tastier (and it's nut free). Since toddlers are involved I'd also suggest some raw or very lightly steamed and chilled veggies with a variety of dips -- kids love to dip. You could do one creamy/ranch dressing style dip and something more adult. I have also found lentil hummus (which is chickpea free) at my local grocery store.

Something like a Cobb Salad could also be nice -- you could serve it properly for the grown-ups and let the toddlers eat cubes of cheese, avocado, veggies.

I'm realizing that I've suggested things that are very friendly to customizing, and that's not an accident. With my allergies I love to be able to compose my own meals from provided components -- like assembling my own Summer Roll or salad. It's just an extra layer of assurance that I'm eating something safe.
posted by kate blank at 7:48 PM on January 17 [2 favorites]

I have suggested this a perhaps-embarrassing number of times, but if I'm a big fan of baked-potato bars: bake a whole bunch of potatoes and serve them in a big heated casserole or heavy bowl, so they stay warm. Put out a tray of toppings so people can serve themselves.

Some favorites in our household include
- 2 or 3 kinds of cheese. I like cheddar and parmesan, but you could use any you prefer. Grated Swiss or gouda, crumbled goat cheese or feta, cream cheese, whatever.
- creamed spinach
- steamed chopped broccoli
- caramelized onions
- saucy black beans (if I'm in a hurry, I just buy a can of Goya black bean soup, but check the label to see if it contains tomatoes or other allergens)
- mushrooms sautéed in garlic and sherry
- scallions
- sour cream
- if it doesn't violate your principles to offer it, crumbled bacon is a nice addition, but I've done this with and without bacon and no one wept tears of bacon-deprived frustration.
- butter, salt, pepper. If you have fancy salts and peppers in your kitchen arsenal, this is a great time to use them.

A serve-yourself bar is ideal for diners with allergies or for fussy toddlers because it can be customized to each person.
posted by Elsa at 7:53 PM on January 17 [1 favorite]

italian fries (that recipe is really greasy if i'm remembering correctly; use a generous hand with the olive oil, but no reason to overdo it) are so decedent that even meat eaters are happy to have them as an entree with a salad

-this recipe for white bean dip has become a standard not only for me but for people i've served it to; if you stick white beans, lemon juice, olive oil, and whatever flavorings you have around into a food processor or under an immersion blender, you have a delicious protein-filled alternative to hummus that tastes dope as heck. the recipe linked calls for a bunch of expensive herbs but just basil is my favorite. in winter you can probably just get away with aleppo pepper or maybe even (rinsed and patted dry) jarred roasted red pepper.
posted by Juliet Banana at 8:06 PM on January 17 [1 favorite]

Burritos made with flour (not corn) tortillas. For toddlers: a burrito made of just a tortilla with cheese -- and some avocado -- is perfect toddler fare. For adults: fill the burritos with roasted vegetables. For example, butternut squash, red pepper and black beans, with cilantro garnish and avocado on the side. Feta cheese is good in this if you aren't vegan, but you don't even need cheese. Or tomato. Or corn.
posted by third rail at 8:18 PM on January 17

Make a note to yourself that you are going to need to avoid both corn starch and corn syrup, which are in a ridiculous number of processed foods. Also, nuts hide in all sorts of things; most packaged breads and pastries and a number of sauces are made on shared equipment with products containing nuts. So you should ask your friend whether she needs to avoid certain things / brands due to the potential for cross-contamination with nuts.

This is a self-link, but I think it's appropriate in this situation. A couple of months ago I put together a peanut-free Thanksgiving Pinterest board that has a bunch of main dish / side dish recipes on it. SOME OF THEM CONTAIN CORN, EGGS OR CHICKPEAS, so not all of them will be safe for your friend. But several of them are free of all the allergens you mentioned. And nearly all of them are things my picky peanut-allergic 9-year-old would be willing to eat.
posted by BlueJae at 8:27 AM on January 18

(Oh-- AND the recipes are almost all vegetarian, because I am. Just put a couple of turkey things on there to throw a bone to the family carnivores.)
posted by BlueJae at 8:30 AM on January 18

spaghetti with parmesan, lemon, and black pepper.
posted by yggdrasil at 5:01 PM on January 19

« Older What shoes work well for overp...   |  where can i find cool, quirky ... Newer »