Need ideas for backyard ground cover
January 15, 2014 10:29 AM Subscribe
The backyard of the house we bought has several raised beds (great!) and a couple of trees. The previous owners removed the lawn, so the rest of the ground is plain ol' bare dirt. They apparently liked it that way, but I don't. I'd like some ideas for a low-maintenance ground cover that isn't straight-up grass or sod. Other details within.
- We're in northern California, zone 9B.
- With the raised beds and trees, there are just too many obstacles for a lawnmower, so I want something that doesn't require trimming.
- Must not creep into raised beds (or if it does, must be easy to remove).
- Must withstand moderate traffic.
- Must also withstand chickens -- scratching, grazing, etc.
- If we decide to remove a patch of ground cover to add additional raised beds, must be fairly easy to remove (i.e, no killer roots).
- Should probably be sown by seed, because planting individual plants, a la creeping thyme or its ilk, would be prohibitive due to the square footage.
- Area receives full sun; shade won't be an issue.