RunFilter: Something like BikeForums.net, but for running?

I'm getting back into running for fun and fitness after a couple of decades of not running. The last time I was running seriously, the WWW had just been invented and Usenet's rec.running was the place to go. Can you recommend your favorite online community for runners--the kind of place to exchange route ideas, gear reviews, and training tips? I'm an occasional participant at BikeForums.net, which offers all that for cycling, and I'd like to find something similar for runners.
posted by brianogilvie to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

The Runners World forums are great for this.
posted by DuckGirl at 1:53 PM on January 14 [2 favorites]

RunKeeper (iphone/android app and website) is not a forum, but it does have the ability to search for routes that people have saved. It's good for finding specific distances in specific places, and even shows the elevation for the whole route so you can determine if the hills meet your needs. It also contains training plans and bitesized running tips are shown on rest days.
posted by man down under at 2:08 PM on January 14

Not exactly what you're looking for, but for articles I like Competitor.
posted by barnoley at 2:10 PM on January 14

Runners World. Also, Let's Run, although that place can be a little messy. And reddit.com/r/running.
posted by roomthreeseventeen at 2:17 PM on January 14

I like the forums at RunningAhead.com. (they also have a great running log). Check out the subforums-- the main ones don't always get a lot of traffic, but many of the subforums are more frequented than the ones on the main page, you just have to search for them.
posted by matcha action at 2:18 PM on January 14 [2 favorites]

I am at RunningAhead also. There are user groups for just about anything: low heart rate training, masters runners, trail running and ultras, training for particular distances or events, regional groups, etc. The log is very configurable and includes a route measuring tool and calculators, and the developer is very responsive in the forums and always improving things.
posted by bwanabetty at 4:13 PM on January 14

Thanks, everyone! I use TrainingPeaks and Strava for logging, and RideWithGPS for route planning, but I look forward to checking out those forums and sites for motivation (and procrastination!).
posted by brianogilvie at 6:42 AM on January 15

coolrunning.com used to have forums, and I think they're trying to restart them.
beginnertriathlete.com has forums.
mapmyrun.com has a pretty good route finder.

On facebook? Look for running clubs in your area; some clubs have decent social media presence.
posted by disconnect at 8:53 AM on January 15

« Older Every year I dread cold weathe...   |  Hello! I stupidly "delete... Newer »