Children's Book Including a Spaghetti Sandwich

My partner and I were remembering our differing childhood experiences of homemade spaghetti. At one point, she brought up using the leftovers in a spaghetti sandwich. I've never had one, but this triggered a vivid memory of a favorite picture book which had at least one illustration of a spaghetti sandwich. Among other odd sandwiches, possibly. I'd love to remember the title of the book and, ideally, see that illustration.

I don't think the book focused on sandwiches, or maybe even food. I believe the sandwiches were an incidental part of the day the protagonist was having. Maybe they were taking care of themselves for the day, for some reason? The protagonist may have been a young, anthropomorphized animal. In my memory, the illustration style looks a lot like Richard Scarry. However, my own googlings and image searches have turned up nothing.

Anyone know what I'm describing? I'd especially love a photo of that illustration, to verify it's what I'm remembering.
posted by gilrain to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I just relocated one of my favorite books as a kid, It's Like This, Cat, which involves spaghetti sandwiches! It's for slightly older children, and doesn't have a ton of illustrations, so I doubt it's the right book, but you can check it out for free on Gutenberg just in case.

I see there’s some leftover cold spaghetti in the icebox, and I ask Mom to put it in sandwiches. She thinks I’m cracked, but I did this once before, and it’s good, ’specially if there’s plenty of meat and sauce on the spaghetti.
posted by Juliet Banana at 9:27 AM on January 14

Maybe What Do You Say, Dear? There's an illustration there where the narrator is invited to a dinner that consists entirely of spaghetti things. It being a manners book, the proper response to " would you like more spaghetti for dessert?" is "no thank you." My mom still quotes this scene all the time.

Can't search for picture now on my phone, can do so later.
posted by ActionPopulated at 10:55 AM on January 14 [1 favorite]

Here is the only picture of the spaghetti dinner scene I could find. No sandwiches shown, but I swear they were mentioned in the text, and I think there's another illustration I'm not finding.
posted by ActionPopulated at 12:26 PM on January 14

Neither of those are it, but thanks for the responses so far!
posted by gilrain at 12:34 PM on January 14

« Older Sort of riffing on my earlier ...   |  I'm lusting after this jacket,... Newer »