The restaurant self-identifies as Cantonese, but I don't know...

The dish at a faraway hole-in the wall Chinese restaurant was titled "egg fried soft noodles".

I don't know how to identify these noodles, but other noodles were titled "chow mein-egg noodles", so these noodles in question should not be the standard egg noodles, right? The restaurant self-identifies as Cantonese, but they also serve hot dogs and hamburgers. They probably aren't the most authentic.

What kind of noodles would I have to buy, and what would I have to do to cook this at home?

It had quite a fair amount of egg in it which I liked. But had like 3 stir fried book choy leaves stirred in along with some good sized pieces of white onions.

Sorry about the shitty picture. I once promised myself that I'd only take pictures of half eaten food to prevent myself from believing I'm a good photographer. But honestly, this was because I had forgotten to take a picture till I was damn near finished.
posted by hal_c_on to Food & Drink (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

They kind of look like the rice vermicelli that I get in Singapore Noodles
posted by FreezBoy at 3:05 AM on January 11

Afaik, the rice noodles don't have any egg at all, so it wouldn't be those.

Unless you saw the chow mein noodles and they looked different, they may have just been the same. It may have just been a naming convention. But there is a chance they are thicker and perhaps that's why there's a discrepancy between the two dishes.

They may be non standard in that they're thinner. They're probably something like thin egg noodles-- youmian. Something like this probably. Any asian grocers should have thin egg noodles like this available.
posted by Dimes at 3:30 AM on January 11

I'm guessing that they're either e-fu noodles like these or egg noodles like these, both of which which are quite commonly used in Cantonese cuisine. If the texture of the noodles was softer and more like spaghetti, I'd go with e-fu. If springier and more toothsome, then the egg noodles.

It's hard to tell from the picture-- was the egg dry fried or used as more of a sauce?

If the former, I'd cook the egg noodles (two bundles/ a single serve) in boiling water until almost done and then stirfry onion with some canola oil, 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce and 1-2 tsp chili (? looks like there are some chili bits in the noodles but maybe I'm wrong), add the egg and scramble and break it up, add a few leaves of sliced bok choy (stems first) and stirfry,and then toss the noodles in the sauce until cooked through and finish with a small drizzle of sesame oil.
posted by hellomiss at 3:33 AM on January 11 [2 favorites]

You might have a look at the Lye Water or Egg noodles listed on this wikipedia page: "This class of lye water noodles (Chinese: 碱麵; pinyin: jiǎn miàn) has a subtle but distinctive smell and taste, described by some as being 'eggy'."
posted by taz at 3:34 AM on January 11

To me "Egg fried soft noodles" does not imply that they are egg noodles, only that they were fried with egg, like fried rice. But it's hard to determine from the picture.
posted by FreezBoy at 3:54 AM on January 11

They look like what I know as Hokkien noodles. The ones I grew up with Australia were thinner than the ones I've found in the US so they are probably sold there under a different name. My family commonly used them in Stir fry type dishes as they are easy to prepare (they usually come presoftened and vacuum sealed) you just rinse them and toss them in. We often used them with fried rice ingredients so Egg fried Noodles to me implies at some point an egg was just added to the stirfry much as you would when making fried rice.
posted by wwax at 7:04 AM on January 11

other noodles were titled "chow mein-egg noodles", so these noodles in question should not be the standard egg noodles

I am pretty confident they are NOT egg noodles.
posted by hal_c_on at 12:09 PM on January 11

I dunno homie, they look pretty much like standard skinny egg noodles you can get from any Asian grocer here in Australia. Definitely not rice noodles, no way.
posted by smoke at 2:59 PM on January 11

« Older I'm looking to write string ar...   |  Having successfully pried open... Newer »