Join 3,501 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Seeking stylish and supportive women's flats
January 10, 2014 6:17 AM   Subscribe

I am looking for recommendations for supportive women's flats. I have high arches and find most ballet flats very uncomfortable. Specific criteria below.

- Style: Looking for formal styles. Usually styles with a longer vamp or extra strap are more comfortable and supportive than low vamp for me.
- Heel: Wedge up to 1 inch is fine. No kitten heels.
- Color: Prefer black, but any neutral is fine. Am open to color or print.
- Material: Prefer leather or patent leather.
- Fit: I have narrow feet so lines that run narrow tend to work better. A specific narrow size is not required but is an option since they usually fit well. Arch support is a must, I have high arches and really dislike the typical flat where the inside of the shoes is completely flat.
- Previous Likes: I've had luck with Taryn Rose and Stuart Weitzman in the past but the models are no longer made. Taryn Rose is generall too wide but can work.
- Price: Flexible
- Other Information: Prefer to have the ability to try on in person. I live in a large metro area and have access to nearly all brands available in US brick and mortar stores.
posted by seesom to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (9 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite

My sister wears narrows and has been happy with these Born flats. I have high arches, so I assume she does too.
posted by jilloftrades at 6:35 AM on January 10 [2 favorites]

I have high arches, although average width feet. I love Clark's (they come in an A width). These are my favorites.
posted by Kriesa at 6:42 AM on January 10

I have high arches, narrow heels and a wide front foot. I'm on my third pair of these Dr Scholls flats in black. I find Clarks too narrow on my toe so they might work for you.
posted by travertina at 6:55 AM on January 10

I just bought these about a week ago. They are available in store. They're the most comfortable flats I've ever worn, both with regard to arch support and the toe box. Unfortunately, they're not leather.
posted by coast99 at 8:03 AM on January 10

I have a pair of Superfeet insoles that I put in whatever flats or heels I decide to wear. Makes a HUGE difference.
posted by sleepykitties at 9:38 AM on January 10

I love these Hush Puppies. They're pretty, interesting, have great arch support, come in several widths, are leather and have a 1 1/4" heel.

I got mine through Amazon after trying them on at DSW, but Zappos has free shipping and returns if you can't find a pair to try on.
posted by Requiax at 10:52 AM on January 10

Seconding insoles, either Superfeet or custom made orthotics. I promise, they'll make a huge difference and can work with all sorts of shoes. Good luck.
posted by Gusaroo at 11:00 AM on January 10

I also use insoles for this reason. Flats feel completely different with them!
posted by PaulaSchultz at 3:09 PM on January 10

Naturalizer Maude ballet flats are incredibly comfortable in my opinion with good support for flats. I have walked miles in these. The leather at the toe feels tight at first but they break in very well. Also Born Julianne flats seem comfortable but I don't own them, just tried them on but returned them because they look too casual. Also think they would be too wide if you prefer/need more narrow leaning shoes. Lastly, Cole Haan's Astoria ballet flat is nice and better made than other Cole Haan shoes of late. Takes a little bit longer to break in but very comfortable and they look very nice.
posted by belau at 4:22 PM on January 10

« Older I am in a period where I want ...   |  I keep waking up in the middle... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments