I am Looking for the Name of a Comic Book Series Where The Bad Guys Won

Hi there. I am looking for a comic book mini-series, probably from the 1980's but possibly from the 1990's. It is not a Marvel or DC series. The premise of the series is that 5 or 10 years before the series begins, a Dr. Doom-like character leads an army of supervillians and actually defeats all the superheroes, killing or depowering them. The mini-series ran for 5 or 6 issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
posted by jack.brodey to Media & Arts (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Reminds me of Armageddon 2001, although this was a DC series.

I only ever read the 1st issue of this, but I really enjoyed it - both the art, the pacing of the story, and the mystery.
posted by boghead at 7:36 PM on January 7

Empire by Mark Waid?
posted by Artw at 7:55 PM on January 7 [3 favorites]

I was coming to say Empire too.
posted by bswinburn at 7:57 PM on January 7

Wanted ?
posted by mon-ma-tron at 9:35 PM on January 7

Old Man Logan
posted by Ghidorah at 4:17 AM on January 8

Sorry, that's a more recent one, but is definitely a villains team up, kill everyone thing. Maybe you're thinking of some of the What If? stories? It used to be a monthly series. I distinctly remember reading a What If that focused on What If the Xmen lost the Inferno crossover, for example.
posted by Ghidorah at 4:19 AM on January 8

Yes, it was Empire. Thank you so much! I couldn't figure out what to Google to get the answer!

Once again, AskMetafilter to the rescue!
posted by jack.brodey at 5:31 AM on January 8

Just wondering - wasn't there also an even-more-recent series about villains who basically control the planet? (I was trying to think of it the other day).
posted by bitterkitten at 10:19 AM on January 8

« Older I graduated from college about...   |  I live in Newark, NJ. It rece... Newer »