Sourcing reliably high quality beading supplies?
January 7, 2014 11:28 AM Subscribe
I've had some trouble ordering silver-plate and hypoallergenic earring hooks from Amazon and I'm looking for better alternatives, both from an Amazon is Evil standpoint and from the standpoint of wanting to actually receive what I order. If you have a mail order or SF-Bay Area supplier for beading supplies, especially silver or silver plate, please help me with a referral.
posted by kalessin to Shopping (14 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite
I ordered some silver-plate hypoallergenic earring hooks from Amazon. The item was only $4 so I'm not really burned on cost, but what I got definitely wasn't silver plate and may not be hypoallergenic. We'll see - testing it now: yay human experimentation!
As far as quantity goes I'm definitely in the retail zone - I have more than enough jump rings at 100 each of different diameters, though I may run out of the smallest 5 mm ones at some point soon if I keep ordering earrings from Shapeways (which come unattached, even if earring hooks are included). This is not a sales operation, just getting things on hooks for friends and loved ones.
I'd love to have any leads you have on:
- reliable suppliers of high quality metal beading supplies (misc findings, jump rings, clasps, wire)
- in stainless, niobium, sterling and gold
- and high quality beading tools and supplies (storage, organizers, etc.)
- who are either local to me (South Berkeley or accessible via BART/MUNI) or reliable mail orderers (bonus: inexpensive shipping)
- that you like/trust/want to promote or refer my business too
I'm kind of sick already of getting ripped off by Amazon randroids from Amazon Marketplace, so any specific help you can give here is something I'd deeply appreciate.
Thanks so much in advance!