On yer bike
January 7, 2014 5:40 AM Subscribe
I have decided I want a bike for my 14-mile round trip commute between North and West London. I don't currently cycle at all. What kind of bike do I need?
posted by citands to Travel & Transportation (20 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
(For the sake of argument, assume I am fit enough to do this, and won't get lost. But also assume I haven't ridden anything, except boris bikes, for about twenty years so know absolutely nothing at all about buying bikes).
So I'm thinking second hand, unless there's a really good reason for me to use the Cycle To Work scheme?
I'd like to spend less than £150 on this thing. On one hand, this will largely replace my travelcard; on the other, I know it's stupid to spend lots of money on something so nickable.
Things I don't know:
- will I regret buying a cute mixte-style bike for that length of commute?
- do I need a mountain bike?
- do I need to do, like, some sort of cycling proficiency test?
- is Gumtree my best bet?
Things I do know:
- high viz
- no headphones
- get a helmet
- don't leave your bike outside overnight, buy at least two locks for it, and don't get emotionally attached to it despite all of the above
- I will never ever want to ride this thing off road
- I am vain enough to want to look cute tooling around Stoke Newington at the weekend
What do you recommend, commuter-cyclists of London?