Hunting for a 1990s scifi novel...

Around 1999/2000, I read a pair of interesting scifi paperbacks that I can't recall the names of. I keep thinking that the name of one of the books was "Spin," but that's not the right story at all.

Distinguishing characteristics:
  • The main character is a scientist or university student, and he's part of a group that makes first contact with an alien.
  • The alien is named "Wheeler," or something similar, and he wants to sell technology to Earth. He gives them teleportation devices as a "first one's free" kind of gift.
  • The main character and his friend get rich, but realize that the technology is destroying Earth by bleeding off its angular momentum.
  • They're unsuccessful in saving Earth, and the second book opens with (or shortly after) its destruction.
Does that ring any bells?
posted by verb to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Signal to Noise?

The other book you read may have been A Signal Shattered, by the way.
posted by the webmistress at 6:26 PM on January 6 [2 favorites]

Seconding webmistress on this. Definitely Signal to Noise.
posted by Hactar at 6:55 AM on January 7

Bingo! That's the one, thank you!
posted by verb at 7:22 AM on January 7

« Older I am a 27 year old female and ...   |  I've been diagnosed with acute... Newer »