How do I delete the photos on my iphone?

Absurdly, my wife can't delete the 1000 photos on her camera roll on her iphone 4. Running ios7; with ios 6 you could apparently sync to an empty folder via itunes, but that doesn't work anymore. Any ideas? Surely there must be a straightforward way of doing this routine task?
posted by Sebmojo to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Is iPhoto not an option? Anytime I sync my photos to iPhoto it asks if I want to delete the photos from my phone.

On the off chance she uses a PC, maybe look into some kind of equivalent photo management software for PC? Does Windows have a proprietary photo management system akin to iPhoto?

Also, surely deleting them independently is an option? Sounds like a chore, but if she can't sync photos to her computer, that's probably the only way.
posted by Sara C. at 5:18 PM on January 6

If you're on a Mac you can connect your iphone to your mac and use Image Capture select all and delete. But I agree that this is a strange gap in the usability. You used to be able to do this easily on just the phone itself in IOS6, but not now in IOS7.
posted by nightwood at 5:26 PM on January 6 [1 favorite]

She is on a PC. And iphoto has now been set to delete on download, but that doesn't work retrospectively.
posted by Sebmojo at 5:28 PM on January 6

Yeah, unless something really weird is going on you should be able to delete them directly in Windows. The phone (just the camera folder) should show up in Devices & Printers (on Windows 7).
posted by neckro23 at 5:34 PM on January 6

Can she delete the photos manually on her iPhone? Just to check that it's not an issue with the deleting itself...

When my iPhone is connected to my PC, I can delete photos from the My Computer browser.
(on preview, what planetesimal said)
posted by xmts at 5:34 PM on January 6

Ah, that did it. Thanks all.
posted by Sebmojo at 5:44 PM on January 6

« Older After my PO Box was broken int...   |  It wouldn't be Chiberia withou... Newer »