How do I delete the photos on my iphone?

Absurdly, my wife can't delete the 1000 photos on her camera roll on her iphone 4. Running ios7; with ios 6 you could apparently sync to an empty folder via itunes, but that doesn't work anymore. Any ideas? Surely there must be a straightforward way of doing this routine task?
posted by Sebmojo to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Is iPhoto not an option? Anytime I sync my photos to iPhoto it asks if I want to delete the photos from my phone.

On the off chance she uses a PC, maybe look into some kind of equivalent photo management software for PC? Does Windows have a proprietary photo management system akin to iPhoto?

Also, surely deleting them independently is an option? Sounds like a chore, but if she can't sync photos to her computer, that's probably the only way.
posted by Sara C. at 5:18 PM on January 6

If you're on a Mac you can connect your iphone to your mac and use Image Capture select all and delete. But I agree that this is a strange gap in the usability. You used to be able to do this easily on just the phone itself in IOS6, but not now in IOS7.
posted by nightwood at 5:26 PM on January 6 [1 favorite]

She is on a PC. And iphoto has now been set to delete on download, but that doesn't work retrospectively.
posted by Sebmojo at 5:28 PM on January 6

When it's plugged into to the PC via USB, try accessing it from the My Computer browser, selecting all the photos from the edit menu, and then deleting them.
posted by planetesimal at 5:32 PM on January 6 [1 favorite]

Yeah, unless something really weird is going on you should be able to delete them directly in Windows. The phone (just the camera folder) should show up in Devices & Printers (on Windows 7).
posted by neckro23 at 5:34 PM on January 6

Can she delete the photos manually on her iPhone? Just to check that it's not an issue with the deleting itself...

When my iPhone is connected to my PC, I can delete photos from the My Computer browser.
(on preview, what planetesimal said)
posted by xmts at 5:34 PM on January 6

Ah, that did it. Thanks all.
posted by Sebmojo at 5:44 PM on January 6

« Older After my PO Box was broken int...   |  It wouldn't be Chiberia withou... Newer »