Oh Email Address, I just can't quit you

I just got married! Yay! And I wanted to change my email address to reflect my new name. But that is turning out to be difficult.

So I'm now mrslizlemondrop and I'd like my email address, which is currently firstname_oldlastname@gmail.com, to reflect that. I got a new gmail account, firstname_newlastname@gmail.com, but upon further investigation, switching over isn't as simple as forwarding my email and telling my friends. There's my google calendar, my google analytics, my google docs, etc. I've searched the internet for information but the procedures I've found have been either outdated or super confusing. It appears that google has a way to do this, but I cannot figure out how. Can anyone advise me or point to good information on how to move everything over to a new google account?
posted by Lizlemondrop to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite

I would suggest keeping your old gmail account for all of your logins and just forward your newname@gmail.com into your oldname@gmail.com mailbox. That way you can give out the newname address to your contacts but keep logging in to everything as before.
posted by matildaben at 10:35 AM on January 6 [7 favorites]

It appears that google has a way to do this, but I cannot figure out how.

Google Takeout. It will export most of your information into nice little files that you can then upload to your new account.

Be aware you will have to export each of your calendars separately and upload to your new Calendar. Also, G+ has its own process which involves a waiting process before your circles can be merged over.

I recently did all this and it took me about...4 hours total. The emails came over more slowly as the server sent them through but all 5,000 of them eventually migrated.
posted by epanalepsis at 10:40 AM on January 6 [3 favorites]

epanalepsis - it seems Google Takeout lets you create an archive, but I'm not seeing how to get the info into my new account?
posted by Lizlemondrop at 10:55 AM on January 6

I would do as matildaben advises and continue to log into your old account, and keep your data there, but forward the new email address to your old account and set up Gmail to use it as an alternate address. You can configure it in preferences to be the default for outgoing mail as well. If you want to be super annoying you can even set up an autoresponder on the old email address advising people of your new address. (Do not actually do this.) But Gmail is more than able to manage multiple addresses.

Personally I can't see the advantage of doing the whole Google Takeout / export / reimport thing. If you were leaving Google completely (for some other provider) that would be the way to go, but it seems unnecessary when all you want is really an additional email address.
posted by Kadin2048 at 10:56 AM on January 6 [3 favorites]

The forwarding strategy above sounds fine, but if you really want everything from oldname@gmail to newname@gmail, then setting up the new account to check the old account as a POP should work
posted by zachxman at 11:20 AM on January 6

I would do as matildaben advises and continue to log into your old account, and keep your data there, but forward the new email address to your old account and set up Gmail to use it as an alternate address.

I recently tried that (combined with zachxman's approach), only to discover that anyone who was using Outlook who received my mail was seeing "From: [old address] on behalf of [new address]" when I responded using [new address] as an alias while logged in to [old address]. It doesn't seem to do that for people using webmail though; those people just see "From: [new address]" when I reply to them. So YMMV.
posted by solotoro at 11:59 AM on January 6 [1 favorite]

it seems Google Takeout lets you create an archive, but I'm not seeing how to get the info into my new account?

You have to then import the archive into your new account. Unfortunately, you can't do it in one fell swoop--each Google product is essentially standalone, so you have to look through the help for each one that you use to learn how to import the file.

For example, in Calendar, you will have to create a new calendar with exactly the same name as your old one, then import the file (which you exported through Takeout) into this new calendar.

For Drive, you just upload your files like you do with any file and you'll have to recreate your folders.

For G+, there is a whole different process entirely (tip: you also need to make sure your name is the same on both accounts first).

Etc...
posted by epanalepsis at 1:18 PM on January 6

Just an update for people contemplating an email move, after looking at all my various options, I went with the forwarding my new email to my old email account and changing the from and reply-to fields to my new email name so that (for the most part), it looks like I changed my name. Not an ideal solution but the least painful. Just another reminder that while marriage may not be forever, the Internet is. :)
posted by Lizlemondrop at 11:04 AM on January 7

« Older I come from an abusive family ...   |  I have trouble getting work do... Newer »