Dr. Windykites- realistic goal or foolish pipe dream?
December 29, 2013 6:03 PM Subscribe
I want to become a Doctor. With my history and circumstances, is this a realistic goal or just a daydream?
posted by windykites to Education (13 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
-Canadian, Ontario resident
- Registered Massage Therapist. I hold a college diploma from a private career college with credits that are not transferable to any other institutions.
- I dropped out of high school in grade ten and got my GED. All of my maths were essential, or applied, or whatever the easiest one was.
- School's always been easy for me except math because I get distracted and do the steps wrong, or get bored of the tedium. But if I apply myself, I can do it. Massage school was a joke, I slept through most of it.
- I'm 27 with $20 grand in unpaid loans.
- I want to go into rehab, probably orthopedic rehab. Desperately.
I guess it would take me 12-15 years to complete this. So if I started September 2014 I'd be at least 40 by the time I finished. I'm worried that I'm a bit old to be trying to cope with the workload this education would require.
So, is this something achievable? I mean, is being admitted even achievable, or does it take more than what I can bring to the table? Are adult or non-traditional students ever successful at this?