Is There Such a Thing as 1000D Ballistic Nylon?

ThinkGeek is selling a "deluxe" version of their Grab-it pack holster which they claim is made from 1000D Ballistic Nylon. However, from what I can find there is no such thing as 1000D Ballistic Nylon. Instead, there's 100D Cordura Nylon (initially used in the 80's). Am I wrong here? Is the description on ThinkGeek incorrect? If it is, what is the primary difference(s) between Cordura and Ballistic nylon?
posted by OpnSrce to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The "D" stands for denier, a measure of the fabric's weight/thickness. "Cordura" is a brand name

The original specification for ballistic nylon was an 18 ounce nylon fabric made from 1050 denier high tenacity nylon yarn in a 2x2 basketweave.
posted by jon1270 at 9:34 AM on December 29, 2013 [2 favorites]

"CORDURA® is a proven, engineered woven fabric designed for light weight durability and abrasion resistance. Ballistic Nylon is basically a coarser, tougher version of this."

(By the way, the Cordura brand is owned by Koch Industries.)
posted by box at 12:21 PM on December 29, 2013 [1 favorite]

« Older I am not a gamer or anything, ...   |  I have a number of goals, not ... Newer »