What should I title my porn-related art project?

I'm doing a rather extensive art project that uses images from porn magazines in various ways. I don't think it's important to discuss all those particulars but can leave a comment with them if that would help. Anyway, I'm having trouble coming up with a title for the overall series. I've considered synonyms for porn, words for porn in other languages, porn terms (like "money shot" and such), lines from famous quotes about porn, and a variety of other titles, but none seem right. Does anyone have suggestions? Even if you have a general suggestion (like "why don't you read x website?") rather than a specific phrase, that would be helpful. Thanks.
posted by mermaidcafe to Media & Arts (24 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I think information on what type of project it is - does it have a slant (pro/against? body image in porn? the effect of money in porn?) I think knowing the general purpose would give a better idea for a creative name that matches the concept.
posted by symbioid at 12:27 PM on December 27, 2013 [4 favorites]

I Know It When I See It
posted by griphus at 12:31 PM on December 27, 2013 [14 favorites]

What is the theme?
posted by parmanparman at 12:31 PM on December 27, 2013

Came here to to say what griphus said. Maybe directed at the viewer, "You Know What You're Seeing."
posted by mibo at 12:32 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

I agree with symbioid but I might start with replacing the word "born" in phrases with "porn". Porn in the USA, Porn to Run, Porn to be Wild, To the Manor Porn etc.
posted by merocet at 12:32 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

Also: Perversion for Profit (NB: good idea for satire, less good idea for socially-conscious stuff.)
posted by griphus at 12:33 PM on December 27, 2013

Okay, last one, I promise: A lyric or two from Tom Lehrer's Smut. You can hear it here but unfortunately they cut out the introductory part (that paragraph before the lyrics,) which is really good.
posted by griphus at 12:38 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

pornucopia
Exxxhibit (or eXXXhibit or Pictures at an Exxxhibition)
Lewdscapes
posted by nightwood at 12:43 PM on December 27, 2013

How about: "rule 34" or some variation.

if it exists there is porn of it
posted by chasles at 12:49 PM on December 27, 2013

Something borrowed, something Blue.
posted by jamjam at 12:53 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

cum hither

(i almost typed "hitler". that would be another suggestion).
posted by bruce at 1:09 PM on December 27, 2013 [2 favorites]

Do you mind if I smoke while you're eating?
posted by Ruthless Bunny at 1:10 PM on December 27, 2013

Who is your audience?

I'd combine food and sex and go with something related.

- Medium raw porn

- Porno al dente

- Pasta al porno

- Escabeche of porn

-Forcemeat
posted by travelwithcats at 1:11 PM on December 27, 2013

The story of O (or just O, to signify surprise, shock, orgasm and perhaps orrifices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_O

Or borrow from these : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_literature
posted by b33j at 1:12 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

It seems like a very porn thing to do would be to take the name of notable art exhibition and warp it to be porn-y, kind of the way nightwood is approaching it.

So, something like "Venice Bi-anal" or similar.
posted by LionIndex at 2:03 PM on December 27, 2013 [2 favorites]

Pictures of Cigars
posted by Going To Maine at 2:24 PM on December 27, 2013

"My Horse is a Show Jumper"

(I could probably come up with others if I knew more about what you were trying to get across with the project; otherwise, there's always process names, like "Magazine Collages 11x17.")
posted by klangklangston at 3:13 PM on December 27, 2013

Is there some small background detail that appears in a number of the images that you could forefront? The Ikea name for that black cloth-cushioned couch that appears in a bunch of casting couch porn would work.

I wish you'd explain a little more about the project, though. A good name should bounce off the topic in some way --- either elucidating a theme or highlighting a detail or commenting on the theme with a twist. Without knowing more about what you're doing it's hard to know if you'd want something corny or sexy, wry or sleazy, prim or bold. A goofy name would undermine rather than enhance a serious project, whereas something campy and playful would be ill-served by something too dry and academic.
posted by Diablevert at 3:20 PM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

Pr0n
posted by JohnnyGunn at 4:16 PM on December 27, 2013

mermaidcafe does XXX
posted by faineant at 4:40 PM on December 27, 2013

In The Eye of the Beholder
Spread
Facial Expressions (yeah, eww)
posted by plinth at 5:17 PM on December 27, 2013

Sexo Azul, a.k.a the euphemism for Viagra in Spain (literally "blue sex," after the color of the pills).
posted by limeonaire at 7:32 PM on December 27, 2013

SSC (Strong Sexual Content)
18+
National Pornographic

I like the idea highlighting the magazine source, given porn's prevalence online:

Paper Porn
La Petite Mort de l'impression (Google Translate of "The Little Death of Print")
Bound/Unbound
posted by wemayfreeze at 1:19 AM on December 28, 2013

Palimpsex
posted by LionIndex at 9:43 AM on December 28, 2013

« Older I wanna go to some dance perfo...   |  There's a particular kind of m... Newer »