Looking for a good butcher in Seattle Eastside.

I moved (again), to the Seattle area, and am now without a good butcher (again). Can anyone recommend a good butcher in Seattle's Eastside (e.g. Redmond/Bellevue)? I cook pretty seriously, so ideally I'd like a place that has high quality meats, is knowledgeable enough to answer questions, can deal with custom or unusual orders, that kind of thing.
posted by madmethods to Food & Drink (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

have you checked out Bill the Butcher yet? there's one in redmond. I've gone into the store in Wallingford and the workers are very friendly and the quality was great
posted by zw98105 at 9:38 AM on December 27, 2013 [1 favorite]

I wouldn't get too attached to Bill the Butcher; the Bellevue store didn't last a year, and the Wallingford store spent more than a year with a "Coming Soon" sign up, to the point where when they finally opened I don't have the heart to even try to get there during their business hours. The negative Yelp comments about stock mismanagement are well-earned.

The butcher departments at Whole Foods are very good, and the Golden Steer is Bellevue's real old-line butcher.
posted by Kakkerlak at 9:57 AM on December 27, 2013

I've heard good things about Golden Steer Choice Meats, but haven't been there myself.

If you don't mind coming into Seattle occasionally - A&J Meats and Rain Shadow Meats are both excellent.
posted by leitmotif at 9:57 AM on December 27, 2013

Bob's in Columbia City is across I-90 but they are fantastic.
posted by Sublimity at 1:37 PM on December 27, 2013

Fisher Meats in downtown Issaquah is great.
posted by Crashback at 2:18 AM on December 28, 2013

The particular thing that I was looking for that pushed me to ask the question was a bone-in, skin-on pork shoulder (for the Momofuku Bo Ssam). I had a tough time finding it until I talked to Rain Shadow. So I did end up going into Seattle, but I was very happy with Rain Shadow in general, they were very helpful, and the pork was excellent. They'll probably be my go-to place at least for special occasions. I'll still be trying some of the other Eastside suggestions in the future in the hope of finding someone closer that I like.
posted by madmethods at 12:38 PM on December 29, 2013

« Older I work with a small retailer o...   |  I have a couple small (approxi... Newer »