Join 3,382 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Chicago on New Year's Day. What's there to do? Where to go?
December 23, 2013 9:23 PM   Subscribe

Catch: New Year's on a Wednesday. I don't have the surrounding days off.

I live around 3 hours south of Chicago. I am planning on driving over Tuesday night after work and staying somewhere in Chicago. Spend perhaps "New Year midnight" in Chicago, spend a little bit of time on Wednesday and drive home by the night so I can return to work on Thursday.

What are my options? Where's the best place to be? What's the thing I should be seeing?

(Any other suggestions would help too -- I generally stay in either Best Western or La Quinta since I have some kind of a frequent visitor plan with them. Any suggestions on where/which area to stay? Any other "warnings"?)
posted by harisund to Travel & Transportation around Chicago, IL (4 answers total)

Best Western -- if there are rooms open (which there may very well not be), I always recommend the Best Western River North. Centrally located, free parking, close to public transportation.
posted by andrewesque at 10:00 PM on December 23, 2013

If I didn't have plans, I would try to go to the Neo-Futurists' New Year's Eve performance!

It's a little expensive, but you're directly supporting (utterly fantastic) independent theater, and the longest-running show in Chicago at 24 years and still going. I hope you like clever, personal, absurdist plays on a shoestring budget and awesome people!
posted by spelunkingplato at 10:53 PM on December 23, 2013

Evanston - just north of Chicago - is having First Night, with a lot of arts/music events geared towards family. It'll be pretty kitschy but probably pretty fun.
posted by LSK at 11:05 PM on December 23, 2013

So, what'd you do?
posted by spelunkingplato at 11:36 PM on January 6

« Older I had a sort-of breakup recent...   |  We are visiting Merida, Mexico... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments