I have to hop on one foot on concrete. Are there any fashionable and supportive shoes for me?
I have broken my hip and I am non weight bearing for nine more weeks on one side. As I have also broken my elbow, I am using a wheelchair and walker to get around.
The easiest way to get me out of my house and into a car to go to work is using my walker with gutter arm attachment. I must hop on one foot (supported by walker) from door to street (including one concrete stair) and half a block to a location where I can load into the car. I then either hop or wheel at my destination.
I am going to return to work soon in software, the environment is fairly casual but not casual enough for me to feel comfortable wearing athletic wear. I plan to wear dresses/tunics and black leggings until such a time that I can bend and use my arm for pants with zippers.
I was hoping to wear these black boots
, however after hopping to/from car in these boots (and doing a second hop to/from car on the same day in these running shoes
), the knee on my good leg is in pain probably due to high impact nature of hopping. I am a big girl so it is a lot of weight on one joint.
I would like to avoid injuring my good leg, but at the same time I would like to be able to wear co-ordinating footwear. Changing shoes at work is a non-starter since I can't bend down, if I start in boots I end in boots. I can have helpers put on shoes at home but not at work.
Here are the constraints:
- Supportive enough to help avoid knee/ankle injury on good leg when hopping on concrete.
- Must be available in Vancouver, BC or ship within Canada with reasonable return policy.
- Available in ladies 10-11. Boots are size 10 and runners are size 11.
- Must withstand light drizzle and wet condition of Vancouver winter. Assume I will only go out in temperatures above freezing.
- Non skid. Must be able to pivot on one foot as well to transfer from walker to chairs.
- Unobtrusive when worn with black leggings and casual day dress/tunic. Dress 1
, Tunic 1
, Dress 2
, Tunic from boutique that is similar to the one I purchased
. The third dress is a short sleeve casual wool dress, black with blue and white pattern, that hits 2-3 inches above knee.