Volunteering in NYC
December 21, 2013 7:48 PM Subscribe
I'd like to possibly do some volunteering. Specific requirements inside.
posted by unannihilated to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (11 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Hello. I'd like to possibly do some volunteering if there's a good fit for me out there.
Here are my requirements:
1. I like things that are genuinely needed and useful. Right now my primary community service is donating blood regularly. I like it because it fulfills a concrete need, and it really matters. (There's no substitute for human blood and without donors people would die.) When I donate, there are often other volunteers there working the canteen. It's nice when they're there, but if they're not, it's no big deal - I just get my own cookies and juice. "Nice but not necessary" is not the type of volunteering I am looking for.
2. In NYC. I might consider a special short trip on the East Coast, but certainly none of those international trips where you go away for three weeks and shell out a couple grand to volunteer.
3. No on-going administrative, office-type work. I feel like this takes away paid work from people who need it.
4. I would like to meet other interesting people my age (early 30s).
5. I prefer causes that are as inclusive as they can be. (Inclusion is limited by the type of population served, of course.) For example, I'd rather work a soup kitchen open to all than a food bank that has eligibility requirements and thus turns some people away.
6. My social skills are medium. I can talk to strangers, but I don't think I have the finesse to handle very difficult populations.
Any ideas? Thanks.