Help me find my utopia!
December 13, 2013 7:01 PM Subscribe
Living in NYC is wearing me down...
Or maybe I'm just slowing down...
So I typed up a wish list of my dream hometown and thought I'd see whether any such place exists or even comes close to it. Ha.
I realize my list is a bit silly since it's not completely thought out but boy I'd snap out of this major funk I've been in if such an area existed! ...or comes close to it?
posted by peasncarrots to Society & Culture (29 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
* not listed in any particular order...
1. Good public schools =
- 90% of kids graduate & go on to college
- high priority in providing a supportive and positive environment for all
- regular, productive communication between administration and parents working together to help the children
- well-rounded: academics, life prep, sports, varied extra curricular classes / clubs, arts, music, language, science
- extra tutoring
- ethnically diverse
2. Quality, low-cost after school programs
- staff are educated / highly experienced in child behavior
3. Lots of green space: parks, hiking/biking paths, fishing, camping, lots of trees and grass around
4. Free public well-kept outdoor tennis courts, swimming pools, basketball courts, running track, football field
5. Low- cost of living: family of four with young children can live comfortably on low 50k
6. Low crime
7. Educated middle class
8. Easy-going and stable lifestyle and attitude
9. Mild to sometimes hot temps
10. Easy access to Organic markets with wide selection of products and fresh produce
11. Great hospitals - state of the art, well-rounded care (including alternative medicine, therapy, dental, etc)
12. Clean air
13. Clean water
14. Dependable police force
15. Family / children-focused and supported community
16. Short commute time 15-30mins avg
17. Low to no income/property tax
18. Affordable homes <$1,000 for 2-3 br with some outdoor space large enough to dine al fresco, avg home price $250k.
19. Near arts, culture, culturally varied options for dining, shopping
20. Character - no cookie-cutter nabes
21. Spoken language preferred: English or Spanish