Join 3,375 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Scotch!
December 11, 2013 1:54 PM   Subscribe

I have a new friend that I care for very deeply. He really really likes scotch. I want to get him a Christmas gift that is scotch related.

I don't drink scotch, and I don't really want to get him a bottle of scotch. I want to buy him something that is thoughtful, not too $$, and kinda related to his love of scotch. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
posted by jen14221 to Food & Drink (26 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

A little water jug. You can sometimes find them in antiques shops, but there are lots and lots on eBay.
posted by holgate at 1:57 PM on December 11, 2013

How about a set of proper scotch tumblers? These weigh nicely in the hand.
posted by seawallrunner at 1:57 PM on December 11, 2013

My dad is a big scotch fan. I gave him a personalized/etched rocks glass a couple Christmases ago. He loved it.
posted by schroedingersgirl at 1:57 PM on December 11, 2013

I think decanters are nice. You can spend a little or a lot.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 2:00 PM on December 11, 2013

Whiskey Stones.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 2:03 PM on December 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

I would actually advise against whiskey stones- some whiskey/scotch lovers really don't like them.
posted by showbiz_liz at 2:06 PM on December 11, 2013 [3 favorites]

Ok, this is possibly too expensive and your friend might find it tacky, but this globe themed decanter and rocks glass set is giving me life. You can also get the decanter by itself.
posted by showbiz_liz at 2:12 PM on December 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Whiskey sampler packs can often be found around the holidays, and some of the smaller ones are reasonably priced - good if you want to try something you'd never commit a whole bottle to. (Like say, a super duper peat-y one that tastes like a bog mummy. Would never drink it by the bottle, but a small vial of one once a year is just right.)
posted by The Whelk at 2:13 PM on December 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Michael Jackson's Complete Guide to Single Malt Scotch
posted by mattbucher at 2:14 PM on December 11, 2013 [3 favorites]

Yeah even more than whiskey stones, as a whiskey fan I would probably prefer this kind of ice mold.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 2:14 PM on December 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Ralfy recommends the Glencairn glass for your whisky consumption needs. I know I love mine.
posted by Thorzdad at 2:18 PM on December 11, 2013 [3 favorites]

I would also avoid things like the ice rocks or ice molds unless you know for a fact your friend puts ice in his whisky. Many serious Scotch drinkers would never put ice in their whisky.
posted by Thorzdad at 2:21 PM on December 11, 2013 [4 favorites]

Though if the person likes single-malt scotch, they likely won't want anything to do with ice, because it dulls and dilutes the taste too much. The small pitcher mentioned above, nice glencairn glasses, or a small water dropper (the dilution of excellent scotch is done on the order of drops of water) are better bets for accessories.
posted by aught at 2:21 PM on December 11, 2013 [3 favorites]

If you do want to go with the sampler idea, these tasting sets have this Scotch lover drooling.
posted by restless_nomad at 2:25 PM on December 11, 2013 [1 favorite]

Iain Banks "Raw Spirit"
posted by stuartmm at 2:29 PM on December 11, 2013 [4 favorites]

Ralfy recommends the Glencairn glass for your whisky consumption needs. I know I love mine.

This sounds awesome! I want one of them now. The glass has won a Queen's Award for Enterprise in recognition of its Glencairn Glass. The whisky glass is now used by all Scottish and Irish distilleries.
posted by showbiz_liz at 2:33 PM on December 11, 2013

Glencairn glasses are nice. I'm drinking an Indian(!) peaty single malt from one right now.
posted by ryanrs at 2:36 PM on December 11, 2013

Seconding "Raw Spirit," strongly, and the Michael Jackson guide.

Nosing glasses are nice.

How about a small oak cask, so he can actually put a few years on his favorite scotch?
posted by Sunburnt at 2:36 PM on December 11, 2013

Seconding stuartmm's recommendation. It is a fairly pretentious book, but I find anybody who self-identifies as a "scotch drinker" to be fairly pretentious characters anyway, so it works out quite well.

If you know your friend's favourite drop, you could probably peruse that brand's website to see if there are any knick-knacks or trinkets available relatively cheaply. For example, Bruichladdich has some tat you could buy.
posted by turbid dahlia at 2:37 PM on December 11, 2013

We love our Glencairns as well. Some people think they're too unconventional though.

Scotch, like any aromatic drink, really likes a bell shape to capture the aromas. Those tumblers linked above would also be great.
posted by bonehead at 2:47 PM on December 11, 2013

Don't know if they're available by you (don't think they are by me) but you gotta love these single-origin-style (Islay, Speyside, Highland) Scotch waters.
posted by mlle valentine at 2:50 PM on December 11, 2013

BTW, the complement to the Glencairn glass is the Iona pitcher. This makes for a nice gift set with a couple of glasses.
posted by bonehead at 2:58 PM on December 11, 2013

A quaich?
posted by mr vino at 3:03 PM on December 11, 2013

I have the unbranded Glencairns and replace one as soon as it gets broken. I appreciated my SO getting me the matching water jug.
posted by biffa at 3:25 PM on December 11, 2013

Whiskey goes really well with fine dark chocolate.
posted by rmd1023 at 7:13 PM on December 11, 2013 [2 favorites]

Whiskey goes really well with fine dark chocolate.

And candied ginger, interestingly enough, as revealed to me during a tour of the Oban distillery. So that's another snack-food-match possibility.
posted by aught at 12:08 PM on December 12, 2013 [2 favorites]

« Older I want to thank co-workers in ...   |  What are some cool toys for a ... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments