The elusive угаалтуур
December 5, 2013 8:21 AM   Subscribe

What is the proper English name for, and where might I find for purchase, a plastic over-sink water-rationing reservoir that looks like this?

I saw these in rural Mongolia, but cannot for the life of me find more information on the internet.

It's a very simple device; you just fill the reservoir and then push up on the little white thing to release a small trickle of water when you need it.

Apparently they are called either "угаалтуур" or "тосгуур" in Mongolian, but a Google Image Search does not yield any relevant results.

Hopefully this is a really easy question for someone here; thanks!
posted by caaaaaam to Home & Garden (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Neat! Reminds me of soap dispensers that work on a very similar theory. Useful to install during hurricane season ...

Found this using the search terms push sink water reservoir.
posted by tilde at 8:29 AM on December 5, 2013 [1 favorite]

We had one of these on our dacha. Let me surf the Russian web and see if I can get an answer.
posted by griphus at 8:30 AM on December 5, 2013

Okay, so in Russian it is called a Rukomojnik/Рукомойник, literally transalted as "hand-washer" but also as "water-dispenser." It seems to exist in Germany as well as a "handwascher."

The closest English thing I can find are camping hand washers, but they operate more like drink dispensers than the pump kind you're looking for.
posted by griphus at 8:49 AM on December 5, 2013 [1 favorite]

All I can find are DIY tippy tap solutions.

CDC source.

The closest constructed bit I could find was a Tafflo Valve which is a self closing valve.

Here are directions to make one of cloth, wood, and a bit of plastic for the valve. Looks like I'll have a hurricane project for the kids!
posted by tilde at 1:12 PM on April 16

« Older Buying a home in Europe two pa...   |  Hi ladies, I have searched the... Newer »

You are not logged in, either login or create an account to post comments