64 bit CPU info?

I was trying to confirm my cpu information by typing in "grep flags /proc/cpuinfo". My Cpu is core i5 540M, supposed to be 64 bit I assume since I have 64bit win7 installed. However, the output is: flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm It does not has "lm" in it, and according to the sayings online, 64 bit cpu should has this flag. So what exactly is going on here? Is my cpu 64 bit or not? what's wrong with that command?
posted by pack2themoon to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

All i5 cpus are 64-bit capable, and if you are running 64-bit windows, that absolutely confirms it.

Are you doing that /proc/cpuinfo thing from within cygwin? Cygwin is dumb and doesn't really know what's going on.
posted by aubilenon at 8:34 PM on December 4, 2013 [3 favorites]

A core i5 is 64-bit; there's no such thing as a 32-bit core i5. Not sure what happened to you lm flag (as aubilenon said, if you're running it from cygwin all bets are off), but I notice you do have the lahf_lm flag which only makes sense for a 64-bit architecture.

If you are looking at this in cygwin, and f you're interested in sifting through cpuinfo rather than just determining whether your CPU's 64-bit (which it is), you might try booting from an Ubuntu live CD or USB, and running the command there. Here's a guide to the flags.
posted by pont at 11:27 PM on December 4, 2013 [1 favorite]

Thank you guys! I was doing it in Cygwin.
It make sense! And thanks for the extra information.
posted by pack2themoon at 12:47 AM on December 5, 2013

« Older So, I have only been working a...   |  I need to know once and for al... Newer »