A Job Offer with a Fee?
December 3, 2013 5:39 AM Subscribe
I just received a job offer yesterday at the place of business that I temp at. It requires that I stay there for at least one year, or else I must pay a fee. I like the thought of having full-time work with benefits and am very thankful, but I don't feel that I fit in the city I'm in currently and didn't see myself staying for another year. But I have to be careful about any risks I take with leaving my job because I don't have a family (as they were abusive) or anyone to rely on financially should things go south. Is this a good deal? Should I take this job?
posted by independence under the radar to Work & Money (28 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Hi Mefites, I come once again to the Green in search of your wisdom and advice. I have been temping for 6 months and received a job offer yesterday at Company X. I am having mixed feelings and have to decide by 5 pm tomorrow what to do. Let me try to lay out as much info as I can.
To give some background:
-I was told by the temp agency that I needed to temp for 3 months and then would be given an offer. 3 months came and no offer. I called and the agency said I was close but needed a few more hours. A month passed and people were wondering why I wasn't hired yet, as they were positive to me working there. This went back and forth- me calling the agency and talking to HR/ my boss, wondering when an offer would be made. Finally 2 weeks ago, I hear from my boss that I now need 6 months instead of 3, which perplexed my boss as well. They (the temp agency/HR) retroactively changed that without discussing with me. And, apparently, no one else who was temp-to-hire had to wait that long. So 6 months came and they made me an offer.
So, about the offer:
-The offer itself includes a slight pay raise & benefits, including good insurance and 401k. According to my boss, I impressed the higher ups and they were fighting over who I report to. I remembered that and asked for a slightly higher rate, so I'll hear back soon what they decide since they know I have to accept/decline soon.
-My difficulty with the offer is that Company X requires that I stay for one year, or else pay a repayment fee to the Company for hiring me from the temp agency. I talked to HR yesterday and they said it is non-negotiable. They said they require that of everyone they hire from temp agencies. My repayment fee (again, if I leave before one year) is $3,000, or $250 per month for 12 months. The longer I stay, the less I would pay if I left. For example, if I left after 6 months, I would pay $1500. It decreases by $250 a month. Is this a good deal? I've never heard of this before. I don't want to pay anything in this fashion- it seems like it's just money they're taking from me if I leave. After a year the fee is paid and I could leave with no fee.
-My problem with staying for a year is that I've been having a hard time fitting in Seattle. Since I came, I didn't think it was the best fit for me personally. I miss Chicago and New York a lot- the faster pace, good transit, more people and diversity. I have met some wonderful people here (including Mefites!) who seem to be true progressives, which has made my time here that much richer and made me feel more welcome after some racism here. But ultimately I'm not sure it's the right city for me. I saw myself leaving in Spring to go to New York.
-But my other difficulty is that I need to be careful about any big financial decisions I make. I don't have a family to fall back on if I should run out of money, as they were abusive and I cut off ties with them. But I do have good savings.
-If I do take the job and stay for a year and then move to New York, I would be almost 28. Is 28 too old to start over in New York? I guess I feel like I have less of my 20s left to find my way and wonder how socially acceptable that would be as I approach my 30s.
-I wonder if it would reflect poorly on me to future employers in New York if I were to leave a full-time job after a year, compared to leaving a temp job. Would that actually look worse?
-If I were to decline the offer, I don't doubt that Company X would bring in someone else (perhaps the next day) and have me train them. HR said this to me when I asked what would happen if I hypothetically turned it down. That would probably last a week at most to stay on and train the next person and then I would have to get another job. I don't have another job lined up, so I would have to find something else really quickly if I wanted to go that route of quitting there and finding another job that doesn't have that time requirement so I can leave when I'm ready without paying a fee.
So, I think that lays out all sides of it. My heart sinks at the thought of putting off New York for another year. But it feels secure to have a job so I can save and prepare more for my move. And maybe if I gave Seattle more time I could find more people here who I get along well with. But I worry about putting off my hopes. I am very conflicted about what to do. Do you have any thoughts about the offer, kind Mefites? Any help is much appreciated.