volunteering in the east bay (sf bay area)
November 5, 2013 7:12 AM Subscribe
I'm looking for a possibly regular volunteer opportunity in the east bay (oakland or berkeley) working with seniors, homeless, or needy. Tell me about the volunteer org you know of that does great work and is a great place! Some random criteria:
posted by anonymous to sports, hobbies, & recreation (3 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
- Work directly with people at least most of the time (not sorting office supplies in the back room). However, I am somewhat shy and awkward.
- Not interested in community-enrichment-type volunteering (e.g. helping out at a documentary film festival)
- I don't want to work with children, mentally ill, or mentally disabled (at least not to start off with, maybe in a few years)
- Prefer non-religious organizations, or at least non-proselytizing
- I am reasonably handy with tools and technical things. My past (rare) volunteering has been with habitat for humanity, grid alternatives, and a community bike workshop. Fun, but not what I'm looking for right now.
- I could commit to once a month to start off.
- I'm a woman, late 20's, white, well-educated, in case that effects where I'd be useful.
Examples of activities that sound good to me: any kind of hanging out with seniors, soup kitchen worker, tutor for adults
I know there are lots of opportunities listed on volunteermatch, but I would feel more comfortable going somewhere that I've heard is a good place that does good work. If any of my friends volunteer, they don't talk about it, so I thought I'd check here. Thanks for any suggestions!