October 6, 2005 3:40 PM Subscribe
Has anyone got any good verbal brain-teasers please?
Examples of what I mean by a "verbal brain-teaser":
- A man needs to wake up at 9 AM. He winds his clock, sets it, and goes to sleep at 7.45PM -- how many hours does he sleep?
- You throw away the outside, cook the inside, and then eat the outside and throw away the inside -- what is it?
- A man comes into town on Friday, stays overnight and leaves on Thursday -- how?
posted by AmbroseChapel to Writing & Language (47 answers total)
- He only sleeps for one hour and fifteen minutes; if he's wound the alarm clock it must be an old-fashioned one which can't be set for AM or PM
- Thursday is the name of his horse
The first one is particularly nice because there's a clue in the question which rewards careful reading. These are for kids, by the way.