Cleaning up the mercury from a broken thermometer...
October 14, 2013 1:10 PM Subscribe
I broke a thermometer by knocking over the container it was sitting in. That container was filled with a pretty acidic solution (~ph 3). There are no visible mercury pools or droplets. I put on gloves and sopped up the liquid, which was probably not the best idea, but I was worried about my kid. Short of hiring an expert cleaner, which I am willing to do if necessary, what should I do now. Cleanup sites tend to assume that the mercury is the only liquid present, and I'm not sure how breaking into the acid might affect things.
posted by OmieWise to science & nature (14 answers total)