Am I a crazy hypochondriac or just a careful person?
October 7, 2013 3:34 PM Subscribe
Last night I consumed some Marijuana, which upon further inspection, seems to be rather moldy. After researching the types of mold that it could be, and the effects of that mold, I am rather worried that I may have given myself a rather dangerous fungal infection.
I do not have health insurance. I need to try to figure out what to do, please help!
Anyone who knows about medicine or fungi would be especially appreciated!
posted by ejfox to health & fitness (17 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
All the information I can give:
1) The Marijuana had been stored in a prescription pill bottle, in a cool dark bottom drawer of a desk in my basement. I'd guess it had been there 2-6 months.
2) Given a cursory glance, it appeared that the buds were very crystally (which is desired) but upon further inspection, it appears that some of these "crystals" are in fact white/clearish specs of mold.
When I flick one of the remaining buds with my finger, a cloud of dark grey / black spores comes off of it.
3) Given some cursory internet detective work, I believe I have identified the mold as Mucor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucor - the wikipedia picture looks much like the "crystals" on the bud, long strands with dots at the top
4) It seems as though Mucor infections are very very dangerous http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucormycosis - I am reading that it has a 50% mortality rate.
5) My nose / sinuses have had a dull ache for most of today, and I have been having to clear my throat and spit mucus much more often than usual.
I do not have extra money right now to indulge hypochondriac paranoia. I would normally tough it out in a situation like this. However, this particular infection seems to be very dangerous, and early detection is important. What do I do?
Is there any way, with the buds that are left over, to determine exactly which fungus it was?
What is my "red line" to go to the doctor? I have been reading that the symptoms would be similar to a sinus infection, with sinus pain and headache. After smoking last night, and waking this morning, I do feel those symptoms very vaguely. The front of my face has been hurting, I have felt a little under the weather. But again, I could just be overthinking things after reading about all of the dangers online.