What's a reasonable moving timeline for the SF Bay Area?
September 28, 2013 4:44 PM Subscribe
We're going to move from the southern part of Alameda County to somewhere between Martinez and Oakley in eastern/northern Contra Costa County. We have a few complications (of course!) and not much moving experience. Can you tell us how to plan?
posted by wintersweet to home & garden (7 answers total)
We have to move because our commutes are terrible. The move will be about 50 miles away. Here are the complications:
1) We can really only move during winter break (starts around Dec 20) because we are both college teachers.
2) Our packing time is very limited, though I'll reduce my workload in Oct-Nov so that I can start on it.
3) We have huge numbers of books that we actually need to move.
4) We have stuff that we need to get rid of, including books, our lousy mattress, our accursed sofa, a terrible desk, etc. Some of these will have to be replaced, but we have a LOT of clutter to get rid of.
5) We don't have many (or any) people who will be around during that time to help us.
6) We might be able to afford a mover (parents have offered) but we sort of think we need that money for the new mattress, sofa, chairs, etc. We were thinking about a POD but you can't even park a car on our street for more than 72 hours, and our parking space does not fit POD's criteria.
7) We will have to do a ton of cleaning in the townhouse after it's empty.
8) We are terrible at moving, and we haven't done it in years, and things have changed a lot in the SF Bay Area since then (and we haven't lived in the destination county before).
9) We don't really want to leave. Our town has great weather and everything we need (within blocks of us, we have a bookstore, our doctors, our dentist, a Whole Foods, a Trader Joe's, and dozens of good, diverse restaurants). All the possible destination towns are too hot in the summer and have fewer things to do. So we're hoping to make one positive change by renting a house, not an apartment. However, we want one that comes with appliances (e.g. washer/dryer), and we don't know how long we'll stay, so we're worried about whether it's possible. (And I don't even know if rental houses come with, like, blinds or anything.)
10) We don't have any clear sense of when listings for December will appear, or when we should sign up for this or that, or ... yeah.
11) We are both working long hours right now and are often away for 14 hours or more, and really tired on the weekends. We realize that we'll have to work around this somehow, of course.
Can anyone suggest a timeline for the steps we should take?