How can I meet people in Prague (and elsewhere in Europe)?
September 27, 2013 2:40 PM Subscribe
My wife and I are in Prague for three more weeks, as part of our plan to travel for several months in Europe (and beyond, we hope). We're interested in meeting people, especially locals, but we're not very good in bars and clubs.
posted by Peter J. Prufrock to travel & transportation around Prague, Czech Republic (6 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
I know this is a common type of question so let me give some specifics about us and some ideas we already have.
- We're both in our early 30's and pretty quiet, but we're trying to break out of our shells. We don't drink so that makes bars and clubs difficult (but not impossible, I guess).
- I've looked at Couchsurfing even though we have our own place here in Prague and generally prefer it that way. The whole CS ecosystem bewilders me a little bit but I'm going to see what I can do with it. A little hard since we don't have any CS experience on our profile at all.
- Meetup shows mostly groups that are devoted to specific hobbies that we don't have, or to expat networking groups.
- One promising thing is that we have a little tango experience, so I can try to find some milongas around here. But we're definitely just beginners and already a few months out of practice. Classes would be great but in my experience in the US they're expensive.
- We're both bookish and we like learning languages, so that might be another avenue to pursue. Learning some Czech would be a big bonus to me but again there's a money issue too.
Prague is our longest stay on our tentative schedule so we're focused on that, but I'd love to hear any general advice about meeting people outside of bars and clubs while traveling.