Any Vets in the house? Thinking of adopting a dog that's Heartworm+
September 25, 2013 6:59 PM Subscribe
I've been looking for a dog that matches me for about 2 years. Today I found a dog
at the local pound but the dog is heartworm positive and undergoing treatment. Medical records and info/questions inside...
posted by dobbs to pets & animals (35 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
The shelter told me to call my Vet and get the lowdown. My vet, having not seen the dog, thought that a little weird but her recommendation seemed to be "I wouldn't adopt a dog with heartworm when there are so many healthy dogs available."
I do trust my vet... but I also felt a connection with the dog.
Not being a vet I really didn't know what questions to ask and going back and forth between the two vets was frustrating as neither had time to talk directly to the other.
Here's what I know:
- Female dog about 45 pounds. Approx 2 and a half years old.
- Had puppies in the past few months.
- Was a stray from an indian reserve in Quebec (First Nations)
Here's medical records:
July 9 -
Heartworm AG positive
filter +ve 47280 microfilaria / ml
Treatment HWT +VE
PE - think, mammary glands M1 enlarged, has had puppies, vaccinate Rabies RH SQ EA
Rabvac1, Serial3 1213211A
begin tx for HW - Doxycycline 10mg /kg SID x 30d, Revolution once monthly, no clinical signs of illness at this time EA
Gained 4kg, routine OVH, subcuticular closure; chronic inflammatory changes ventral abdumen; vemdvm
2ml immiticide given IM L side as per label instructions (under sedation) SCS
start metacam dose PO SIDx5d, repeat immiticide on R side tomorrow (they say they did this), strict confinement for 1 month then gradually back to reg exercise. Heartworm test 4 months after treatment, heartguard once monthly.
I obviously don't know what most of this stuff means.
Any vets or dog experts able to advise on the situation -- what to expect, worst/best case scenario, costs, etc? Anything that would help me decide by 8am tomorrow? There is someone behind me who wants the dog if I pass so I can't simply wait for the tests that are due in 10 days.