How do I thank my lawyer?
September 23, 2013 8:59 AM Subscribe
My (dramatic) divorce will be finalized in 3 weeks. How do I acknowledge how awesome my lawyer is?
posted by spunweb to human relations (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My divorce has been grueling. It's involved my moving several states away from my soon-to-be-ex, and my STBX having to move twice in the last year because of both professional and financial fallout. Throughout this, my lawyer has been a champ -- she's been my sounding board for interacting with my ex, she's been really informative of what's frankly a scary process, and has let me take as much time to do what I need to do in terms of paperwork and decision-making. In fact, she will be driving about 8 hrs roundtrip to finalize my divorce because I can't be in court physically. She's also doing a lot of this for free, because she's friends of a friend. She went through a bad divorce herself, and is/has been really sympathetic towards me.
Here are some of my ideas:
1. Flowers -- I really like flowers, and I thought she might like some of the potted ones you can get delivered from flowers.com, because she just moved into a new office. She's got her own practice/office now, and is really proud of it.
2. And Audible.com subscription -- she drives a lot for work and family stuff.
3. Candy/food -- she's got kids and food is fun to share.
4. A donation in her name to a local DV shelter/legal clinic -- she's a Christian and is passionately invested in women's rights and family law as it pertains to protecting children, so I think this would vibe with her on a variety of levels.
5. I'm a pretty good baker, so maybe cookies mailed to her office?
Any other suggestions? I'd prefer something I can mail or have delivered to her.