Please help us find an interesting, older US city to visit
September 11, 2013 8:05 PM Subscribe
My sister and I have an opportunity to get away for a few days in the next couple of months, and we need your help.
posted by gothchick33 to travel & transportation around United States (34 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
We are in California, and are looking to fly to a city in the United States that has some or all of the following features:
1. A cool, old walkable Downtown
2. Grand early 20th century architecture, both in use and derelict
3. A garden-style cemetery with fine monuments
4. Good public transportation (we'd prefer not to rent a car)
5. Unusual or unusually great museums and/or folk art environments
6. Historic hotels, probably downtown
7. A public market packed with local stalls (example: Cleveland's West Side Market, Los Angeles' Grand Central Market) or good access to unique local cuisine
8. Not too expensive
9. Good thrift / vintage shopping
10. Not too cold in late fall
We visited Cleveland not long ago, and loved it. Can you recommend another city in America that is similarly awesome and may not be on our radar?