Can you read and translate the Greek (?) text on these caps?

What does the text say on these pink bottle caps (image 1, image 2)? As I'm told, these were sold as inexpensive caps at a brew-your-own beer supply store in Texas. I'm guessing the text is Greek, but I'm just guessing. Thanks!
posted by filthy light thief to Writing & Language (9 answers total)

Based off google translate, the text around the side looks like an ingredient list. ςυςτατικα translates to "component in" followed by what look like ingredients.
posted by DynamiteToast at 1:11 PM on August 30, 2013

Ivi is a soda and water brand sold in Greece ("Ivi" is my transliteration of the script on the top of the cap). Anyway, it's a bottling company, my Greek is only good enough to transliterate the letters around the side ("something something water something") but I have drunk a lot of Ivi water.
posted by annathea at 1:16 PM on August 30, 2013

The text around the side is indeed an ingredient list in Greek, and the word on top is Ήβη "Ivi", which means "youth".
posted by zeri at 1:17 PM on August 30, 2013

ΝΕΡΟ is Water?

ΧΥΜΟΣ is Juice?

Etc.
posted by DynamiteToast at 1:17 PM on August 30, 2013

Ηβη is a Greek soda drink. The ingredient list is what you would expect: Water (Νερό), sour cherry juice (from concentrate), sugar (ΖΑΧΑΡΗ) etc.
posted by deanc at 1:18 PM on August 30, 2013 [1 favorite]

Yes, it's Greek, from Ivi, one of the larger soft drink makers. From the list of ingredients along the rim it looks like sour cherry soda: I'm reading water, sour cherry juice, carbon dioxide, citric acid and ascorbic acid (I think). It's pretty good actually.
posted by Dr Dracator at 1:19 PM on August 30, 2013

Keen, thanks everyone!

A follow-up question for anyone who might read down this far: how did Greek soda lids make their way to a Texan shop for DIY beer (and possibly soda) bottlers? It seems akin to finding unused Dad's Root Beer caps for sale in Greece.
posted by filthy light thief at 2:34 PM on August 30, 2013

Is the homebrew shop buying surplus bottle caps from the manufacturer? It looks like one can do that directly from companies like Crown, here's their current inventory.
posted by JoeZydeco at 7:11 PM on August 30, 2013

They could be from ΗΒΗ Κλασσική (IVI Classic) bottles, which include a sour cherry flavor. Thanks everyone, for solving this mystery!
posted by filthy light thief at 5:43 PM on September 1, 2013

« Older How should I handle advising m...   |  How do I get a daily mid-day e... Newer »