Week 4 with the new pup. I *think* I'm giving him a great life but sometimes he gives me a look that says 'i want to go back to the shelter, i'm bored and this sucks'. Is this normal as a new pet owner? How can I relax and not stress about being the best. owner. ever? What's a normal 'life with a dog' schedule like?
New pup Finlay
is a 4 month old Lab/English Setter/Dalmation Mix. I asked a question a week ago here about his fear of the leash that, thanks to the advice, we are on our way to laughing about, though this
was the scene this morning when we attempted to hit the park.
A couple of quick details:
- I work from home, outside of my daily surf/run I am attached to my little guy 24/7.
- He follows me EVERYWHERE, which I love.
- Happily goes in to his crate at bedtime. Quick pee in the morning and then licking/wrestling on the bed until breakfast time
- Now housetrained, a couple of accidents but no big deal
- I LOVE him and let him know it, rub his belly and give him devotion hourly, feed him on a tight schedule, engage with him and he is never ignored.
- Outside of my day to day chores/work, he is the center of my life right now
- Enough squeaking toys and things to chew to entertain a dog army
- Training/Trick time several times a day but never to the point of frustrating us both
- I never yell at him, ever, but am firm and he knows who is boss
- Walks/playtime in the yard a plenty
- He has free access to the massive backyard which he has explored within every inch
- Leaving him alone for even 5 minutes and then returning he wags his tail like a maniac
- He's just about the best thing ever
BUT....I can't shake the feeling he doesn't like me when he gives me a look like this
, which is very common. He just sort of collapses in a heap on his dog bed in the living room and stares at me like i'm not paying him enough attention (but I am!)
My friend (a multiple dog owner) tried to reassure me that I am the center of his universe, he loves me, he is blissfully happy and just relax.
What's it REALLY like to own a dog? What's your daily schedule like? Lovable thing you engage with, feed, love and dote on often as it works with your schedule? Is it ok if I just watch a movie for 2 hours and let him sigh in the corner? Is a family/house dog someone who is just sort of in your house doing his thing?
Help me settle in to having this lovely little guy in my life.