Future mapping -- what do I do about school.
August 19, 2013 3:11 PM Subscribe
I'm 29 and finally ready to attend college for the first time. A year ago, I fixated on a program (up-and-coming) and a school (local, private, VERY well-regarded). Since last August I've been admitted, laid off, rejected for loans, hired, rejected for *more* loans.
Last week I came to terms with not attending this September. Today I was unexpectedly approved for more aid that will almost cover my tuition (but none of my living expenses). Orientation starts in two weeks.
posted by itesser to education (14 answers total)
- My rent is high (studio apartment) and I want to move to a shared house with friends in October/November
- The job I have now might evaporate in January or February
- I currently work nights, but this will change in about a month.
- the program is intensive enough that I can't work a regular job while attending
- it is 8 terms. Attending year-round means finishing in under 3 years.
- I don't have anyone to consign loans for me
Option A: Attend Fall 2013
+ Start school when I originally intended
+ take advantage of the school's new generosity
+ not lose my registration deposit
+ graduate sooner
- still have to scramble to try to cover living expenses (and may fail)
- quit my job sooner than I want to (love my current project)
- less $$ in savings
- 'stuck' in an expensive apartment or move mid-term
Option B: Apply/attend Spring 2014
+ work my wonderful job through the end of the year
+ save more money
+ take my time finding a new place to live to drop my rent by 20%
+ improve/resubmit portfolio for a new/different scholarship
- lose current aid offer from school
- only have 6 weeks to make a super impressive portfolio (while working weird hours)
Option C: Apply/attend Fall 2014
+ work through the end of the project
+ lots of time to make a great portfolio (knowing I need a great scholarship)
+ lots of time to move/save money
- may be out of work after January (but maybe not!)
- starting school a year later means graduating a year later
- more delay means more unknowns/more time for things to change.
If I turn down the increased aid my school is offering me now (at the 11th hour), will it prejudice them against me when I reapply in the future?
Are there any exceptionally bad parts to any of these plans I'm not considering?
General advice/insight for my situation? None of the people close to me have relatable experiences.